One less rude Khmer butting in line...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: One less rude Khmer butting in line...

Post by flying chicken »

I hear your pain Dragon. In Siem Reap, the cool Khmers pick up this habit from the rude Koreans and Chinese....and well the Khmer elites has the habit of pushing in line because they expected the same treatment like other Khmer establishments they visited. Embarrassingly to say, most changed this habit from the civilized barangs; from the tourists and expats.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick o'shea »

The thing is, khmers don't mind it. They see an opportunity, and they take it. And, if you are khmer and on the receiving end, you snooze, you lose, but you don't make a scene.

If the store are ok with queue jumpers, it's maybe best to just roll up your sleeves, stick your elbows out and muscle into a space like everyone else. Angkor Mart get it. And I'm certain they have a loyal customer base partly because of forcing khmers to queue. However, in other stores, it's not the way, and I think we kind of look a bit dickish being the only barang in the shop and trying to force the locals to queue up like it was a 1950s London bus stop.

My beef is when I'm being served and the salesperson gets interrupted, and obliges the interrupter, leaving me feeling like a swinging dick.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

You should credit my influence or whatnot :D.... A couple of times, I asked the line pushers "skoul chua te?" (do you know how to get in line?) and In Korean too...both nationalities were shocked, because no one dares. Frankly, I was kind of scared too when I said it....they could beat the shit out of me.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

ExPenhMan wrote:Isn't that effed up? They do NOT "lose face" for being rude, but lose face for being called out for being rude. Talk about inside out.

Thing is, some shops act in a way that makes me think they expect you to push your way to the front and if you don't act fast, someone jumps right in front of you.

I've sent line jumpers packing. And counter clerks have done so too here in Thailand. They may answer an interloper's question but they continue to serve me despite the pushy jumper who's sticking cash in the clerk's face and demanding something. Line jumping doesn't happen so much anymore in Thailand, even at 7-11s. The only exception has been phone shops, oddly enough.

Oh, don't get me started on Indian customers . . .
Clerk at One and One mart on 271 for us Boeng TomPun folks sent a queue jumper behind the other day. She told her to get to the back of the line before I even had a chance! I smiled and told her thank you !
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I dunno, I kind of like getting angry Image
Yeah, losing face here can be a lot of fun, truth be told!

:evil:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

StroppyChops wrote:Apparently barang do not lose face.
They do. They just don't know it, or care.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

LTO wrote:
And so...
    ...they don't lose face.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

StroppyChops wrote:
LTO wrote:
And so...
    ...they don't lose face.
Face, like reputation, is not only something you have but how others perceive you.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

General Mackevili wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:...I didn't mind at the time because I thought she was with the person checking out. ...
Ha! That awkward moment when I don't know if I should start making a big scene and call them "cha-loi" or simple smile at them because they're just getting back in line with their friend.
Could you please just translate 'Cha​-Loi' as Google translate is baffled by it , thank you
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

neo colonial cultural imperialism?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic