One less rude Khmer butting in line...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

One less rude Khmer butting in line...

Post by OrangeDragon »

So we were just at the supermarket and a chick with 1 thing stepped right in front of me at the register, I didn't mind at the time because I thought she was with the person checking out. Then the money came out and I realized they weren't together and sort of scoff-chuckled at it. She caught it and apparently speaks English... we had a nice conversation about how rude it was to jump in line, even if you only have one thing, without first asking the permission of the person you're getting in front of. Smiles the whole time.

On the way to the car my wife informed me that the woman won't go back to Samudera now because she lost so much face in front of the staff.

Perhaps this is the solution... we don't get mad, we just openly have a friendly conversation about what they just did terribly wrong in front of the workers until they lose enough face they'll stop coming back.

Apparently it was because I didn't just say one thing and let her apologize, but kept explaining it all the way out each time she presented an excuse with her apology until she finally just said she was sorry without an excuse.
giblet
Expatriate

Re: One less rude Khmer butting in line...

Post by giblet »

Four years in and I'm still confounded by face. Does your wife think you also lost face for not accepting her initial apology? Making someone else lose face seems to also qualify as a loss of face.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Apparently barang do not lose face.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Isn't that effed up? They do NOT "lose face" for being rude, but lose face for being called out for being rude. Talk about inside out.

Thing is, some shops act in a way that makes me think they expect you to push your way to the front and if you don't act fast, someone jumps right in front of you.

I've sent line jumpers packing. And counter clerks have done so too here in Thailand. They may answer an interloper's question but they continue to serve me despite the pushy jumper who's sticking cash in the clerk's face and demanding something. Line jumping doesn't happen so much anymore in Thailand, even at 7-11s. The only exception has been phone shops, oddly enough.

Oh, don't get me started on Indian customers . . .
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Happens in China too - I was buying a SIM card when someone jumped in mid sentence. I stopped them and told them I was being served and had not finished yet. They looked like I had slapped them, and the guy serving me took a lot of pleasure in slowing right down.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

ExPenhMan wrote:Oh, don't get me started on Indian customers . . .
Yeah, the problem with Indian is that once you get started...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

OrangeDragon wrote:...I didn't mind at the time because I thought she was with the person checking out. ...
Ha! That awkward moment when I don't know if I should start making a big scene and call them "cha-loi" or simple smile at them because they're just getting back in line with their friend.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Steady on. I hate when those little Khmer midgets complain when I push in front of them in the queue at Lucky's.

Hey, they can kiss my arse.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I dunno, I kind of like getting angry
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

giblet wrote:Four years in and I'm still confounded by face. Does your wife think you also lost face for not accepting her initial apology? Making someone else lose face seems to also qualify as a loss of face.
Apparently not because I didn't lose my temper and when she started to leave insisted that she stay there and that it was fine, but that she should know doing so without asking was very rude.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic