Foreigner ticket prices increase at Sambor Prei Kuk temples

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Foreigner ticket prices increase at Sambor Prei Kuk temples

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Temple price hike criticised
- Business leaders in the tourism sector have expressed deep dissatisfaction with the recent increase in ticket prices for Kampong Thom’s archeological site Sambor Prei Kuk, arguing that the price hike comes too soon after the temples were given word heritage status by Unesco, and have called on the authorities to reverse the move.

The National Authority for Sambor Prei Kuk announced last month that the admission fee for Sambor Prei Kuk will be raised from $3 to $10 for foreigners starting on January 1.

Sambor Prei Kuk, known as Ishanapura in Sanskrit, is the ancient capital of the Chenla Empire. The temple was listed as a Unesco word heritage site in July this year.

Thourn Sinan, chairman of the Pacific Area Travel Association (PATA), told Khmer Times that it is too early to raise ticket prices for the temple complex, arguing that the move will hurt tour operators who usually design their tour packages as early as six months in advance and now cannot change their prices to account for the new entrance fee...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5096123/tem ... riticised/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Foreigner ticket prices increase at Sambor Prei Kuk temples

Post by AndyKK »

good move! Out price the visitor.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

I visited SPK today. I can't say much as has changed since the last time I visited a few years ago. Therefore hiking the entrance fee is not justified until there are more information boards, toilets etc.
The local community guides also told me they are worried tourist numbers will drop with the new entrance fees. Though I doubt it will happen as they just got UNESCO World Heritage status...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

STEVITO wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 pm I visited SPK today. I can't say much as has changed since the last time I visited a few years ago. Therefore hiking the entrance fee is not justified until there are more information boards, toilets etc.
The local community guides also told me they are worried tourist numbers will drop with the new entrance fees. Though I doubt it will happen as they just got UNESCO World Heritage status...
I haven't been there, but it seems from what Ive heard it's a sort of smaller/ more wrecked temple complex with just some towers and a funny tree that stand out. It seems like they are trying to cash out before it's even become all that popular. It does get coachloads of Chinese/Korean tours pulling up apparently, maybe some sort of stop off between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks for the update.
I was there about nine years ago and we wandered around in the forest finding these ruins everywhere. Quite unreal. It was deserted, except for some families living in the park.
If the extra money went to upkeep of the site,then that would be reasonable. And they could build some toilets. ;)
cowyippee
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cowyippee »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 pm And they could build some toilets. ;)
So true. It's quite sad that many tourist(y) sites in Cambodia haven't equipped with more toilets. But maybe this changes overtime.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:42 pm
STEVITO wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 pm I visited SPK today. I can't say much as has changed since the last time I visited a few years ago. Therefore hiking the entrance fee is not justified until there are more information boards, toilets etc.
I haven't been there, but it seems from what Ive heard it's a sort of smaller/ more wrecked temple complex with just some towers and a funny tree that stand out. It seems like they are trying to cash out before it's even become all that popular. It does get coachloads of Chinese/Korean tours pulling up apparently, maybe some sort of stop off between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh?
Well you summed it up quite well, John!
It's a perfectly pleasant place and you walk around on sandy paths amongst the forest. No busloads of tourists that I've seen. Quite a few Khmer and also a pre-wedding shoot yesterday. If Chinese/Korean groups do stop at the moment they won't in the future. They won't pay $10.
Certainly Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm and Bayon are more impressive. $10 wouldn't be so bad if they had good signage and toilets. They don't have currently. It makes for a couple of nice hours and as a one-off $10 is ok. I've been there 3 or 4 times before and should I be with people/family visiting in the future I will stay outside and have a cold drink whilst they can go in and do the tour....
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If Chinese/Korean groups do stop at the moment they won't in the future. They won't pay $10.

I wonder because of how things have been going in the country, if there would be price reductions for tours. Also, the possibility of leasing the small site to Chinese.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic