Khmer numbers

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cowyippee
Expatriate
Cambodia

Khmer numbers

Post by cowyippee »

It has always been a great mystery to me that how Khmer use the numerals. If you write for example ៣០០០០ it sure is 30000 but how about 34000? Is it just ៣៤០០០០ or is it more complicated? I feel a little stupid when asking this but I have never understood this system. Answers appreciated greatly!
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Khmer numbers

Post by prahocalypse now »

cowyippee wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 am I how about 34000? Is it just ៣៤០០០០ or is it more complicated?

Wouldn't that be 340,000?
cowyippee
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cowyippee »

prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 am
cowyippee wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 am I how about 34000? Is it just ៣៤០០០០ or is it more complicated?

That precisely is what I'm not getting in the Khmer numerals :D if you add one more number then the whole count becomes entirely wrong. So the question is: how do you spell 30 000 and 34 000 Khmer?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The system used is the same, just change the symbols.
cowyippee
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cowyippee »

Will do, thanks for info! :) do you think that most of the native Khmers have difficulties understanding "western" numbers? I recall quite many situations a few years back that Khmers didn't understand Western numbers, only Khmer numbers. Is there still Khmer-number-only-people in Cambodia these days?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

cowyippee wrote:
prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 am

That precisely is what I'm not getting in the Khmer numerals :D if you add one more number then the whole count becomes entirely wrong. So the question is: how do you spell 30 000 and 34 000 Khmer?
Writing the numbers is exactly the same, what differs is the counting system.
Khmer uses both base 5 and 10, and counts units of ten thousands. (but it's more complicated than that)

Five
pram

Six
pram mouy
five + one

Sixteen
dop pram mouy
ten + five + one

Thirty thousand
bie meun
3 ten thousands

Thirty four thousand
bie meun, buon poan
3 ten thousands, four thousand

Two million six hundred and fifty thousand
Pi lien, pram mouy saen, pram meun
Two million, five + one hundred thousands, five ten thousands

edit. fixed mashed quotes and dodgy tapatalk formatting
Last edited by epidemiks on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Always remember to add a 0 when selling to Barang.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

:stir:

quoted myself instead of editing.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

cowyippee wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:24 am Will do, thanks for info! :) do you think that most of the native Khmers have difficulties understanding "western" numbers? I recall quite many situations a few years back that Khmers didn't understand Western numbers, only Khmer numbers. Is there still Khmer-number-only-people in Cambodia these days?

I haven't come across anyone - even those who were functionally illiterate in Khmer - who didn't understand written latin numerals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic