Teachers Wanted: No Negroes, Indians, Mongoloids Need Apply

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Teachers Wanted: No Negroes, Indians, Mongoloids Need Apply

Post by lordofmisrule »

Ok, let's look at English teachers in the Kingdom. The majority of white, western English teachers are unqualified and ill-equipped to teach English as they barely speak it themselves. Oooh I have a one month certificate at best, dude I'm qualified. Really? The desire to hire these people is less racist and more stupid frankly but it is a very limited talent pool.

"Mah teacher wears a wifebeater and smells of meth!"
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Khmer learner of English: "My ghastly teacher wears a wifebeater and smells of meth"

Lady Bracknell: "Sir, I can assure you that Gwendoline would be quite unable to recognize the smell of meth,"
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

lordofmisrule wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 pm Ok, let's look at English teachers in the Kingdom. The majority of white, western English teachers are unqualified and ill-equipped to teach English as they barely speak it themselves. Oooh I have a one month certificate at best, dude I'm qualified. Really? The desire to hire these people is less racist and more stupid frankly but it is a very limited talent pool.

"Mah teacher wears a wifebeater and smells of meth!"
:plus1:

I tend to agree. I haven't heard proper English spoken in the USA in years. The education system in the West is a disgrace. I taught Western Civ at a local college and was thoroughly disgusted by the lack of writing skills of many students.

The last thing Cambodia needs are a gaggle of barely educated morons passing on their legacy of illiteracy.

I welcome more stringent requirements for English teachers. Being a mongoloid myself, I accept the fact that I'll never teach in Cambodia. However, I DO wear a tie when sporting my wifebeater. I'ze do got SOME class.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't work in TEFL, but as far as I can see there has been a huge influx of young graduates who are nothing like the "Off the Rails" types who might have prevailed in previous years. I'm not sure how many actually stay that long but a fresh-faced, naive, straight-off-the-boat westerner is probably more in demand than a grizzly old guy.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:11 am I don't work in TEFL, but as far as I can see there has been a huge influx of young graduates who are nothing like the "Off the Rails" types who might have prevailed in previous years. I'm not sure how many actually stay that long but a fresh-faced, naive, straight-off-the-boat westerner is probably more in demand than a grizzly old guy.
That is very true, there are many like that but while they are a step in the right direction they still do not know how to teachyet, they did a tefl and some, not all but some, are let loose to inflict a lacklustre education on the poor blighters paying for the best they can afford.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Love that word "blighter", my old man a pommy gentleman used it a lot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic