Dealing with chemical weapons and remnants of war

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dealing with chemical weapons and remnants of war

Post by SmartAston Martin »

[ INSENSITIVE JOKE ALERT!! ]

Honestly, I feel that bad for a few days after I eat at a bus stop in the sticks. I was just looking for a cheap feed, and blammo! Shot to the guts, my intestines were burning, and I became severely dehydrated. Crap was everywhere.

Carnet de passage? Rite of passage for hardy travelers.

Don't get spooked by the news!!
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:06 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:16 pm Elsewhere, but in the same commune...

Five sick after bomb exposure in Svay Rieng
6 October 2017
Five people in Svay Rieng’s Koki commune were exposed to what appeared to be a chemical weapon yesterday, a day after officials successfully removed one of two decades-old tear gas bombs located in the same commune.

Heng Ratana, director of the Cambodia Mine Action Centre, said four children around the age of 14 and one adult woman were exposed and are suffering from vomiting, headaches and respiratory difficulties. “It was around 3 kilometres away from our operation. They were checking something in the ground,” Ratana said, adding that officials would investigate further today...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/f ... svay-rieng
Three chemical bomb victims back in hospital
10 October 2017
Three villagers exposed to a chemical bomb in Svay Rieng province’s Korki commune have returned to hospital for further treatment after being discharged on Saturday. Deputy district governor Sour Mol said the three victims were readmitted because their conditions deteriorated.

The trio are among 10 villagers who fell ill after being exposed to chemicals in a bomb they mistook for scrap metal last week. Out of the 10 affected, eight were sent to the district hospital.
“They had difficulty breathing, sticky eyes, sore throats, severe body aches and hyperthermia,” Mr Mol said.

Mr Sarorn said he had yet to fully recover. “On Saturday I told doctors that I felt better, but after I slept at home for one night, I felt sick again. My eyes were hurting and I experienced severe headaches, disorientation, coughing and a sore throat,” he said, adding that he and the two other victims were now on intravenous drips.

Mr Sarorn was the one who dug into the ground to unearth what he thought was scrap metal. Chemical powder from the bomb came into direct contact with his face...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5085329/thr ... -hospital/
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

15 December 2017
Svay Rieng: Lieutenant General Kda, Deputy Secretary General of the Ministry of National Defense's chemical weapons department, told reporters in the morning of December 15, 2017 that today The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) will continue to inspect sites and evaluate them for chemical weapons dropped by the United States.
The press was told to stay off the site and refrain from taking photos.

ImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The U.S.’s Toxic Agent Orange Legacy
Washington has admitted to the long-lasting effects of dioxin use in Vietnam, but has largely sidestepped the issue in neighboring Cambodia and Laos.
KAMPOUT TUK, Cambodia—Paris Dauk’s left arm lies close to her chest, reminiscent of how a bird bears a broken wing. She’s talkative and has a propensity to fill her face, itself marked by abnormal growths, with a toothy grin. Yet while the bird’s wing may eventually heal, Dauk’s limb will not, remaining forever crumpled, underdeveloped, and, ultimately, deformed.

Dauk, 24, is among several people in border villages in southeast Cambodia who, despite being born to families with no history of deformities, came out of the womb with defects that include missing or shortened limbs, abnormal head growths, and developmental disabilities. These deformities, earlier reported by The Phnom Penh Post, appear only in those born after 1970––the year elders say the United States sprayed parts of their village, which sits about a mile from Cambodia’s border with Vietnam, with a powder that irritated their eyes and killed surrounding plants. Residents, and some researchers, now say this powder was likely Agent Orange, the U.S.’s favored dioxin-laced Vietnam War defoliant, which scientists say causes cancer and heart disease in those directly exposed and an array of birth defects in their descendants.
Paris Dauk, 24, was born with a deformed right arm and an abnormal growth on her forehead.
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... am/591412/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic