Cambodian UN Peacekeepers Run Over UXO In Mali

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Cambodian UN Peacekeepers Run Over UXO In Mali

Post by jaclu »

Back on topic, am I the only one finding it sad and ironic that two peacekeepers from one of the most mine infested countries in the world, end up getting badly hurt on a land mine far away in west Africa?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

OrangeDragon wrote:Well, I would suggest the first line of action is convincing them ghosts don't exist and then they can be free to start looking for the real world causes to their problem instead of attributing them to imaginary ones.
If you can find the 'real world' cause and show them, that may bring an end to the problem. Most people, whether believers or not, are open to identifying the cause regardless of what it is. But if you begin by trying to convert them to your world view they will, more often than not, just learn to distrust you and stop listening. Further, depending on the specific problem, these things can sometimes be resolved within their world view, perhaps even more expeditiously and satisfactoraly (to them) than by 'real world' methods.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I find frequently the opposite, that once they have it in their head that its the imaginary trying to point out real world causes just gets dismissed. As happened in that thread when people brought up circulation issues, sleepwalking, etc as perfectly reasonable causes to be investigated.

Just like hardcore literalist christians explain away the identifying of the ages of dinosaur bones as the devils work because it's older than their book says the earth is.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

LOL, trust me, I used to laugh all the time when people talk about ghosts. But I guess you have to experience it to believe it.

Back in late 2010, after an exhausting bus ride from SR to PP on Capitol Tour, I decided to crash at a guess house nearby....I think the name was Happy guesshouse. While sleeping I woke up in the middle of the night seeing an old person dressing in traditional clothes sitting at the edge of my bed smiling. I spent 2 or months thinking about it whether my head pulled trick on me or what I actually saw was real. A year later, I decided to share about it with my Kiwis and western friends; and as I predicted just like what it is happening now, they laughed. But when I shared it to my Khmer and Asian friends most said it was a 'ghost house keeper.'
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

LTO wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Wait... educated people still believe in ghosts haunting them and shit?
Yes, but it doesn't really matter whether you believe or not when you are trying to assist someone who does believe they have a ghost problem. Or at least it doesn't have to.
This.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

jaclu wrote:Back on topic, am I the only one finding it sad and ironic that two peacekeepers from one of the most mine infested countries in the world, end up getting badly hurt on a land mine far away in west Africa?
Nope, you're not. That's utterly sad and ironic.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic