Taser Guns

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ronny
BANNED

Re: Taser Guns

Post by Ronny »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 pm
Ronny wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:38 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:35 pm
vladimir wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am 1. Not legal.

2. Central market

3. Common sense
I've seen stun-guns on sale here but never tasers.
Do you know if they're legal?
They seem easy enough to get but sellers usually keep them hidden, so they are probably illegal. Almost anything you can think of that can be used as a weapon is, so while you can, for example, get a machete legally and easily you can also be charged with carrying an illegal weapon if caught using it in a confrontation. If you or your house are searched on unrelated matters and weapons are found these will be used as evidence that you are a criminal.
Or in other words, if I were to buy a stun gun and the police randomly searched my house, I would be considered a criminal and face jail time and/or a heavy fine? And in other words, we expats cannot use anything to defend ourselves if we are robbed or attacked?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

yep pretty much. You can defend yourself but not with an illegal weapon. Fists, stick or bottle probably ok but if you use a knife or other weapon probably in the shit.
Maybe i am wrong but here i submit, if necessary, and live to see another sunrise. =@ =@ =@
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

As an American, I never go anywhere unless I'm packing a piece.

:facepalm:
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 pm As an American, I never go anywhere unless I'm packing a piece.

The real question is, as an American living where? If I were back in NC you're damn right I'd be packing and I'd have solid, REAL laws protecting me if I had to blow someone away. G*d bless the NRA.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

What does it matter where?

I got open carry. I can do what I want where I want.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ronny wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:18 pm And in other words, we expats cannot use anything to defend ourselves if we are robbed or attacked?
Most expats get by without carrying weapons in Cambodia. Even the women.
Use your brain and common sense as preventative measures. Avoid trouble and don't be aggro.
Shit happens, but Cambodia is not particularly violent for foreigners.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ronny wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:40 pm
Username Taken wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 pm As an American, I never go anywhere unless I'm packing a piece.

The real question is, as an American living where? If I were back in NC you're damn right I'd be packing and I'd have solid, REAL laws protecting me if I had to blow someone away. G*d bless the NRA.
Just chill Ronny. Thats exactly the attitude you dont want to have in Cambodia. You have to get by without a gun, so use your brain.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 pm
Ronny wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:18 pm And in other words, we expats cannot use anything to defend ourselves if we are robbed or attacked?
Most expats get by without carrying weapons in Cambodia. Even the women.
Use your brain and common sense as preventative measures. Avoid trouble and don't be aggro.
Shit happens, but Cambodia is not particularly violent for foreigners.
This. You are either just a little smart or you talk about "packing a piece"......
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

vladimir wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 pm
SmartAston Martin wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:27 pm
vladimir wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 pm I was looking at pepper spray/Mace last weekend and a guy did the psst! dirty magazines wink and told me he could get me a taser. $100

Since I wanted the pepper spray for the dog that used to run after me very morning and try and bite me, I didn't think it would be worth spending $100 on

The spray worked the first time, he hasn't chased me since.

The taser might be an idea for his owner, though.
Escalation, escalation.

Let's change Paradise. NOT!
Yeah, how dumb would it be to just let the dog bite me. See any Khmer let a dog bite him?

Are you from Arkansas? :D

Our very presence changes this place, and I doubteven many Khmers suggest it's paradise.
Arkansas is home to the Waltons, one of the largest and among the first MNC stores ALWAYS putting customers FIRST. I feel very strongly about good country hospitality put to use.

And no, never let a dog bite you. Perhaps in your case, you put a little spice in that dog's life.

But I'd hate to see foreigners arming themselves for no reason.

Me? I carry a stick. Safer from all sorts of animals and pests.

Cheaper than multiple bottles of pepper spray ...
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic