SHV: Barang found lost in a small boat at sea

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: SHV: Barang found lost in a small boat at sea

Post by frank lee bent »

an air cooled motor with a shaft
an outboard is liquid cooled and has a more complex drive train with a clutch and is engineered to be compact
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I am with TG on this, same as there are electric outboard motors for dinghies a long tail engine is clearly an outboard engine.

Back to topic: Once upon a time, a pair of idiots (aka me and and a friend) realized long after waiving bye-bye from Koh Tang to the Sun Boat that if we clearly didn’t forget to get our fill with the management and friends at the boat’s bar, we did very much forget to fill up our jet ski for the return trip. Confident in the local fishing industry to save us we nevertheless departed to our Ream archipelago island base only to run out of gaz half way back. It took a few hours dead in the water for a fishing trawler to rescue and taxi us to destination :facepalm:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Off topic but I thought outboard referred to any motor that attached to the outside of the craft as opposed to an in board motor which is fixed and the drive penetrates the hull.?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Barang chgout wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:56 am Off topic but I thought outboard referred to any motor that attached to the outside of the craft as opposed to an in board motor which is fixed and the drive penetrates the hull.?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
I believe these terms to be correct. Simply put:

Inboard: engine IN the boat.
Outboard: engine OUT the boat

Guy had an inefficient (gas guzzling) dinghy (flat bottom - stabler for newbies, but much more drag), propelled by a small inboard, air-cooled engine with a long shaft triple-bladed screw (propeller).

THINK IT'S EASY, HUH?

'Nuff said. He's a young kid that went out alone, but never learned basic boating, right? No life guards or marina OODs.

He should contribute to the local fisherman's fund somehow (a nice picture and where and how to donate), penance done. :)
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic