TEFL Certificate "LESSON PLAN"

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
splumlee
Tourist
United States of America

TEFL Certificate "LESSON PLAN"

Post by splumlee »

I turned in my lesson plan, and I have 2 more chances to get it right. I'm not sure what it meant by "single usage" or "specific usage" which is one of the main corrections i received from the teacher... You don't have to read this whole post... if you can simply explain to me, what does the teacher mean by "single usage" or "specific usage" of the present continuous tense? I don't know he is asking for... when you say "single or specific usage of" the tense.

Hi Steven,

Thank you for submitting your lesson plan, which is in the correct format for a straight arrow lesson however there are some other changes required.

Please read the recommendations below very carefully. Should your second submission not include all of the requested changes you will be asked to resubmit the lesson plan again.

Learner Objectives

1. Your learner objectives should state the specific usage of the present continuous you intend to cover.

Engage Stage

2. This stage is fine. No corrections needed.

Study Stage

3. You need to make sure that the objective of the lesson is covered in detail in the Study stage.

4. As the task requires you to base your lesson on one usage of the present continuous you need to make sure that you focus on this usage in your Study stage.

5. You should start the Study by eliciting example sentences in keeping with the usage you have decided to cover, the structure of the present continuous and the usage itself. Please refer to unit 3 where elicitation techniques were covered.

6. All the information you are eliciting (example sentences, usage, structure) should be included in your lesson plan procedure - this would essentially be your ‘board work’. As a lesson plan should be considered a working document that could be used by a replacement teacher in case you were unable to teach a lesson, it’s important that these sorts of details are included.

7. Once you have elicited as much as you can, you can then follow up with clarification of the lesson point with further examples to ensure the students understand the grammar point if needed but the focus should be on eliciting the information from the students first.

Worksheets/Exercises

8. Bear in mind that the worksheets/exercises you give the students should check their understanding of the tense with regard to the one usage you should be covering in the lesson.

Activate Stage

9. This stage is fine. No corrections needed.

You will need to resubmit the full lesson plan (using the attached template) with the above points addressed. Please send the revised complete lesson plan as an attachment to your reply email to [email protected]. Note that other formats (Google Docs, Office Online etc.) cannot be accepted.

Please note that you must resubmit the lesson plan as an email attachment. At this stage it’s not possible to resubmit via your control panel.

Regards,

Jon

ITTT

Teacher: Steven Plumlee

Observer: None

Date: 12-12-2017 11:52:03

Class level: Pre-Intermerdiate

Room: N/A

Expected number: N/A

Language points: Present continuous tense, focusing on a single usage and getting the students to use it correctly

Teaching aids: blackboard, electronic screen to view videos of people doing certain activities for engage phase, worksheets for study phase

Learner objectives:
Students should be able put any verb into the present continuous tense. Students should be able to say what things they do themselves in the present continuous by role-playing practice. Students ought to be able to say what a person is doing in the present continuous when they see the person performing such an action as to which they know the vocabulary word for...

Personal aims:
To speak clearly, and to use gestures and miming to be well understood.

Anticipated problems for students:
Students may use the wrong tense when shown pictures of activities; and they will need to be corrected.

Anticipated problems for teachers:
I might show activities in photos or videos of vocabulary activity words the students don't know; and so I will take a list of the ones that students cannot answer the activity; and make a list so that at the end of the day I will tell them to study and memorize those new activity vocabulary words.

Solutions:
Because the lesson is mainly only one point, which is to put verbs in the present continuous tense; I will correct students immediately after they have paused from speaking to show me they have given their final answer.

Solutions:
Remind students to memorize those new vocabulary words which they couldn't say what the picture activity was; so that they will know from now on.

Procedure

Phase

Timing

Interaction

To get the students talking and thinking in English, I will play a short video of "bloopers" of different people being hurt while playing different sports (to ask the students what they were doing (when they got hurt) They were jumping, dancing, playing football, wrestling, climbing, etc. This is fun and will definitely get the students laughing, and talking. I will pause between each "blooper" scene, to ask what the person was doing when they got hurt... to make sure the students know the vocabulary words for each activity.

Engage

10 Minutes

Teacher to Class

Elicit more activity vocabulary words from the students by asking them their favorite non-sport activity, one by one, and writing their favorite activity on the board. Dance, Write, Walk, Eat, play football, etc.

STUDY

10 minutes

Teach to Class

With the list of the vocabulary words on the board, I will as the teacher change each word into the present continuous form and mime for their entertainment, and say "I am dancing" as I dance. "I am writing" as I mime myself writing. As I do each one, I will pronounce what I am doing clearly; and ask the class to say it like I say it. "I am dancing" in a clear way and listen to the class response; thus drilling pronunciation at the same time that I show them the present continuous tense.

STUDY

10 minutes

Teach to Class

After practicing pronunciation of each activity; I will ask the students to complete a worksheet with fill in the blank "I ___ ____. He ____ ____ which will have a list of verbs, and the students will have to practice putting the verb in the blank by using "to be" / "verb + ing" so that they can practice the form itself and memorize this simple "present continuous tense" form.

STUDY

10 minutes

Class does worksheet, I watch.

I will put the students now into small groups, where they have to do their own version of "pictionary" and they will be timed in guessing what the other group student member is doing in their "miming" of certain activities; so that the first group to finish one by one, getting through each member, being found out what they are doing; unto the end; wins! So; "Guess that activity" will be the game, the answer must be in the "present continuous tense" or it doesn't count.... so, "baseball" isn't an answer, you must say "She is playing baseball" for the answer to be counted. I will explain these rules in detail to the students and make sure everyone understand before the game begins. This game should be fun, so I gave it 20 minutes, and we will play by categories. First, we will do sports, then next game other activities such as... eating, sleeping, walking, talking, debating, studying, etc. I think 10 minutes the first game, and 10 minutes for the second game should be plenty of time.

ACTIVATE

20 Minutes

Group Game! Teach Supervises

Anyone know what I did wrong? I don't know what he means by "Specific Usage" or this idea of a singular usage.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: TEFL Certificate "LESSON PLAN"

Post by chorlton »

you are teaching the action in person now and live, one time v showing them a video of others doing the action in the past

they watch a man run
you are a man running

the footballer kicked the ball
you are kicking the ball

that's what I take from it
not done TEFL myself
I looked up this site out of pure interest and to try to help
I hope it does http://busyteacher.org/3715-how-to-teac ... tense.html

:good:
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Barang chgout