A Close Call

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: A Close Call

Post by frank lee bent »

the only rule of the road is to aim at the area behind other vehicles.
never make any abrupt course changes, or be in a situation where you need throttle rather than brake.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Duncan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:37 pm
that genius wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm If you really want scary, try riding a bicycle in this city

Just try walking.. and that's scary.... I dare anyone to cross at the pedestrian crossing when you have the green light and traffic have the red light,,,, at the intersection of street 110 and Sisowath [ riverside ] by the Riverhouse.
The zebra stripes at the pedestrian crossing are not there for your safety. They exist so that the ambulance driver can more easily find your body.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

taabarang wrote:
Duncan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:37 pm
that genius wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm If you really want scary, try riding a bicycle in this city

Just try walking.. and that's scary.... I dare anyone to cross at the pedestrian crossing when you have the green light and traffic have the red light,,,, at the intersection of street 110 and Sisowath [ riverside ] by the Riverhouse.
The zebra stripes at the pedestrian crossing are not there for your safety. They exist so that the ambulance driver can more easily find your body.
Nah mate! Its racist thing! You see!
The WHITE is painted ON TOP of the black!
You see brother! Just another symbol of oppression.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Sweeter
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Sweeter »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:47 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:04 pm i am scared to ride in PP and it is not because of my age.
i had a 45 minute commute for about 8 months and saw countless accidents.
I don't blame you. I have been riding motorbikes of all sorts for 50 years and riding in Phnom Penh for over 20. Over the last two years riding in Phnom Penh has got really frightening. I have driven all over the world and Phnom Penh today, is easily the scariest.
Some Middle Eastern cities beat PP in a dangerous driving contest, but only because some Arabs take driving to such an extreme (plenty of skill, but not enough fear). The Khmers can win on self-righteous clumsiness, though. One can almost admire how consistently they create extra lanes on the right-hand side of the real lanes with anti-parallel direction (and then clog up all the lanes with bad parking and parking helpers on foot anyway)..

Once late at night a moto driver yelled at me for going the wrong way, which was actually the right way, but he was just so sure that there should be an imaginary backwards lane that he called me jkurt. How dare a crazy barang drive the right way! It reminded me of the time a Khmer girl responded once when I asked her if it was strange to show up at someone's house uninvited and without warning ("No of course not. We just show up. We are normal, not crazy [like other people]."). Same with the driving in Phnom Penh.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm how likely is it that a rising academic slipped when getting out of bed and died.
at a young age, with a shiny new degree.
Rising academic? He was forthysomething years old and doing an online Master's degree. He wasn't Doogie Howser.

Do you think degree holders are less likely to slip and fall or have brain aneurysms than school dropouts? Because they have better balance?

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm it would be easy to kill an anon handle, and make it appear as if the natural person had died.
that sock ridden place had lots of intrigue given bubble t and the pirate bay involvement.
you can take my opinions as my own, not as fact- just my personal speculation.
You think his death has been faked, and the friends who saw his body in the morgue are lying, and his Khmer wife who posted on social media about his death is lying, and the Cambodia Daily, Phnom Penh Post, and Khmer Times were duped into printing fake news about his death?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

The end!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

sorry, couldn't resist
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

They got some good stuff down there in Kampot, right?

[ Puff the Magic Dragon ]

Aaahhh ...
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:04 pm i am scared to ride in PP and it is not because of my age.
I don't fancy it, even though I have ridden motorbikes (well, scooters) for years. I use motodops because I figure they have experience in PP, but lately I have switched to tuk tuks via apps.

During afternoon rush hour I don't even want to walk, it's just crazy.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 pm
I don't fancy it, even though I have ridden motorbikes (well, scooters) for years. I use motodops because I figure they have experience in PP, but lately I have switched to tuk tuks via apps.

During afternoon rush hour I don't even want to walk, it's just crazy.
Same for me (except I enjoy walking sometimes). The apps are so cheap, pretty much anywhere in town for less than $3. And all the promotions that are always on, my travel is down to about $20 a month, hardly seems worth buying a moto
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic