Free cardboard boxes?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Free cardboard boxes?

Post by Arget »

taabarang wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:34 am
taabarang wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:33 pm While I find Frank's advice sound I am somewhat disconcerted about Arget's supposed list, so I direct these questions to him.

1). How do you know about this list?
2). What ministry, NGO or agency compiles it? This allegation invites a plethora of related questions, but these will suffice for now.
Dear all. I am at fault for writing that the poster will be on a list. I should have said "could"

With the recent crackdown on Facebook posts against the government and the abilities of government agencies to monitor websites and forums (such as CEO) by their investigative sections of law enforcement it is reasonable to believe that postings about children are monitored.
NGOs that work in the field of child protection also scan websites, Facebook and other internet forums to assist in gathering of intelligence of possible threats.

In this instance I would not be surprised if the poster has been noticed.

I notice that in addition to not responding to my above questions, you falsely claimed elsewhere that passengers were turned away from the new airport due to an inaugural ceremony.

I never said that people where turned away . I quoted what was on the original post.
topic17166.html#p209889

The airport was packed with dignitaries and multiple ceremonies today, and the passengers were told to come back tomorrow.

Ignoring for a moment the issue of fear mongering which you introduced in this thread, it would also appear that you fancy yourself privy to nonexistent inside information.
Fear mongering? Where?
Where did I say I was privy to inside info??

There seems little reason to place value on your credibility.
My apologies for my lack or credibility. Please feel free to disregard anything I may write in future. =@
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

there is a cybersquad, they do not advertize their activities, for sure they would have some foreign staff.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

If the passengers were told "to come back tomorrow" they were indeed turned away. I will not ignore your posts I will logically analyze them.
Good hearted bullshit is one thing, thoughtless bullshit is another.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm ...

This applies to almost all of Dave’s posts :ROFL:

The only thing Dangerous about Dave, is the fact that he enjoys hanging out with kids who aren’t his own, tells strangers on an Internet forum that he loves said kids, and buys Christmas gifts for them (c’mon man,Cambodians don’t even celebrate Xmas!)...look, I’m not insinuating anything by what I said, but it is dangerous and a little creepy...be careful Dave.
Ok, Ok, maybe Dangerous Dave is an idiot. Just one cardboard box short of a Skid Row westerner in Cambodia.

But kids ... kids I don't have to clean up after or *have to* pay for - I don't mind.

Ok, Ok, they can be difficult to play with at times. Touching you to make an emotional connection with you (just not near my pockets or bags,, please) and at times, a little monkey will test your patience.

But I still think, despite all the dangers and entanglements, children, even street children, deserve our love and affection, if we know HOW to safely show them affection. But not necessarily our dollars or belongings.

That said, I like boys AND girls, but not THAT much, haha.

Indifference - sometimes warranted. But outright stonewalling - verging on inhumane.

Kids are refreshing! Free of many prejudices people have. Open-minded. They are the next generation, the future.

Show them you're human. Don't give them much money, it's like hooking kids to sugar or Coca Cola. But give them a smile and a nod, no more is needed ...
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ These are not street kids.

Here is Dave's video having dinner with the kids.

SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

The rap video honestly was not that bad for a 40ish white man from the middle-class, I presume.

I think the kids are Westernized a bit, and their Mom is probably just off-camera. Multiple kids OK because the more the merrier.

A kid alone with an adult a big no-no, I must add. I never let kids follow me into a room alone, etc. Honestly, I think half the time it's a Michael Jacksonesque set up.

The kids are sweet, and Dangerous Dave - dangerously alone.

Get some good pals, Dave. That's all I can see right now.

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

The story with the kids is that they live with a very, *very* big extended family -- at the restaurant next door -- while their mother scales up a business she started in Australia. They are moving to Australia in late April to be reunited with her, now that the business has sufficient staff to be less of a nineteen-hour-a-day proposition for mom. There is, as ever, no dad in the picture. :-(

Not bad advice about not being left alone with one or more of them but never an issue. I don't resent the chime-in, though: it bears remembering and repeating.

In other news, I have a *crap* *ton* of leftover gift wrap and a few spare empty boxes, if anyone would like one or both of these items to help with his or her own Christmas preparations.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 pm A kid alone with an adult a big no-no, I must add. I never let kids follow me into a room alone, etc. Honestly, I think half the time it's a Michael Jacksonesque set up.
Which implies that Michael Jackson is not a nonce :?
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Just in case this is germane, I don't mind being taken for a nonce; I'm used to it. Mostly I've tried to accept the concerns being articulated here in a spirit of good faith -- though as I've said, they aren't necessary in this case. The kids and I are only ever together for dinner, and we dine together in conspicuously full view of a restaurant staff consisting largely of eight aunts and uncles who are so grateful for the surcease that they've stopped even letting me pay.

What I *do* mind, a little, is being taken for someone who needs his questions re-framed -- because that is less ambiguously un-civil behavior. For example there's a member in here who is *still* commenting on how I "insist" on "continuing" to feed cats -- despite thet fact that he "explained" to me the error of that behavior, in response to a question about where I might buy cat food. (His expectation apparently that I would have thanked him by now for straightening me out.)

Such persons would do well, I think, to have a Coke and buggar off -- at least for the time and to the extent necessary to reevaluate the toxicity and self-non-fulfillment of such behavior. It's not just that it would constitute self-evidently unacceptable grandstanding in mixed face-to-face company (and make no mistake); it's how transparently un-realistic and self-inflaming, it is. "Like swallowing poison in the hope that the other person dies," as a friend of mine once had it.

So, how about, in the future, we make more of an effort to confine ourselves to tge question asked? Or, failing that, to refrain from commenting at all?

I have only the best intetests of others at heart, here: After all: I found free boxes, I own slippers, and I still feed cats every day. And if any or all of those three things cause at least one other member here to eat his heart out, there can be little qurstion as to who among us deserves the pity.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

cautious colin wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 am
SmartAston Martin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 pm A kid alone with an adult a big no-no, I must add. I never let kids follow me into a room alone, etc. Honestly, I think half the time it's a Michael Jacksonesque set up.
Which implies that Michael Jackson is not a nonce :?
Michael Jackson, IMHO, was set up after all his big hits, etc.

He obviously had trust issues with adults: they didn't love his music or dance, they just wanted his money. Problems with money and his own family. So he retreated to his work and mansions.

So I'm sure he took to kids like most people do: innocent and usually non-demanding. They probably offered him solace from the Music Industry's connivings and glory seekers.

Unfortunately, he could not protect himself from "opportunistic Moms with cute kids" - Moms "just looking out for her kids and all - trying to get a piece of the pie, like everyone else!" The lawyer money is "all for the kids", right.

I'm sure Michael Jackson did, however, entertain kids in his bed in his mansion, sure. Was there some incidental but improper contact? Most assuredly, if kids are innocent kids. Was it intentional by the overly skinny, anti-macho Michael Jackson? I think not.

Maybe his crime was to let it continue without some sort of legal protection: Mom's supervision, safeguarded safety video, etc. But I personally doubt he significantly or intentionally negatively impacted those children's lives by himself through physical impropriety. Doubt it.

REMOVING RACE FROM JUDGEMENTS
I feel I have to write this part. Note that I am discussing three hot button issues, but I feel race, sexual misconduct and pedophilia are probably very much unrelated.

This list is mostly for new or unapologetic Americans, bless their hearts. But ignorance is not an excuse against the law. Skip if you have a distaste for American popular culture.

So as to defuse the race issue, note the following incomplete list of "notable adult males with large libidos and no record of pedophilia (I must add)":

- Matt Lauer
- All them TV anchors and hosts (2-3 big white ones, now? 1 small black anchor now?)
- The Harv
- Brad Pitt (He's male and human. Forgive him.)
- Charlie Sheen (kinda normal for a Hollywood guy, IMHO)
- Errol Flynn (classic!)
- Tiger Woods (Gentleman sport, ungentlemanly behavior ...)
- Crosby (I hope he is judged like all the others during his time, irrespective of race)
- Eddie Murphy (granted, I think he stopped after the transsexual, but almost went gay afterwards in his movies??)
- Hugh Grant
- Al Franken now? No sh!t! Haha.

Note, I did NOT include the late great Hugh Hefner, because he was open about his amorous inclinations.

It's a confusing world we live in, but we shouldn't lose our common sense. Boys will be boys, and an excess of money is dangerous and will eventually bring evil. Period.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic