Cambodian UN Peacekeepers Run Over UXO In Mali

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Cambodian UN Peacekeepers Run Over UXO In Mali

Post by OrangeDragon »

flying chicken wrote:I found myself wondering too when seeing the thread's title. I think my understanding of geography is pretty good. I finally had to click on the link to see who's the author after seeing the previous post. He/she did a really good translation or written the article. In his/her shoes, I often find myself with challenges and confusing with the lingua.
Considering how hard it is to read some of your posts I frequently find myself astounded that you get work translating. Then I get a menu offering "French Fried" and "Grilled Clamps" and it all makes sense.

;-)
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I see that is an encouragement; instead of being defensive in my older days. Truth is, being a trilingual isnt easy...you literally have to switch your writinng and cultural thoughts back and forth; not easy. My vocab in English isnt that great, even though I considered its my first language. I am not trying to be pompous about it; I get ridiculed in whatever language I speak all the time. That is the truth.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

flying chicken wrote:I see that is an encouragement; instead of being defensive in my older days. Truth is, being a trilingual isnt easy...you literally have to switch your writinng and cultural thoughts back and forth; not easy. My vocab in English isnt that great, even though I considered its my first language. I am not trying to be pompous about it; I get ridiculed in whatever language I speak all the time. That is the truth.
Note the winky... I was just giving you a little shit.

But it does surprise me how these translations seem to go. One would think that a native speaker as a final proofreader would be the ideal in those cases... to give the finished product a "once over" and spot obvious discrepancies. Especially at the western owned businesses where that final proofread could come from the clients themselves.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I wasnt pissed at you..well kind of, but rather pissed at myself why I cant naturally switch my tongue and thought; instead I stuttered. I am fluent in 3 languages, just dont make me nervous otherwise I will stutter.

I forgotten what I was going about to say. Anyway, Its not the booze, but there are a lot of things going through my mind in this period financially esp.

My haunted room thread, thing is real...worrying it will disturb my mind, and esp my wife so I didnt want to talk about in anymore. Whatever, I was going to talk about it when I move out. 2 days ago my daughter has no fever, and by fever I mean when you touch someone on the forehead the temperature was normal.....she again played by herself and puked all over the bed. People suggested that I get the monks or the elderlies to get rid of the evil spirits....you really think the iPad monks from the pagoda can get rid of the haunting spirits? Well, t basing from the tales from my parent I heard in my youth and from the elderlies in I think it is there is such thing; but when I said I didnt want to obey to their command, I meant it...if you do, you will forever live in their trap... my daughter for example, she was sick 3 times since she was born and our family had her naturally heal, that is sleep it off no doctor, medicines...just naturally heal like me! But the parents will be sleepless...not doctor visit yet since she was 5 weeks old .

Anyway, when I heard a pregnant (vn) woman who was a previous tenant in this room but died in PP ....so the neighbor said it strikes me. I was going to hit the hay since 1 as usual or before that, I stayed up because I am pissed off of the disturbance during these housr....so far nothing yet. But why the disturbance whenever I am trying to sleep for work the next day and give shit to my daughter!!!

What the fuck did we do?
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Kfc, what are you waiting to get the fuck out of there ? I am surprised your wife isn't at her parents already.
Finding a good Kru Borameï (chamman) nowadays in Cambodia might be even more complicate than a good doctor.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Thanks grandpa. Unfortunately she is an orphan with an abandoned alive father.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I stayed out of this discussion as I wasn't sure you weren't just playing around, but you seem genuinely distressed. I know it's culturally inappropriate to suggest this, but get a Christian minister involved. I can find one for you if you like.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Wait... educated people still believe in ghosts haunting them and shit?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

OrangeDragon wrote:Wait... educated people still believe in ghosts haunting them and shit?
Yes, but it doesn't really matter whether you believe or not when you are trying to assist someone who does believe they have a ghost problem. Or at least it doesn't have to.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Well, I would suggest the first line of action is convincing them ghosts don't exist and then they can be free to start looking for the real world causes to their problem instead of attributing them to imaginary ones.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic