Office Space in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Office Space in PP

Post by nerdlinger »

I'm considering starting up a no-frills IT business in Cambodia - I'm not currently resident - but the one thing that's really thrown me is how much office space seems to cost on all the English-language realtor sites. There seems to be little to nothing below about $10/sqm, which while not extortionate still doesn't seem significantly cheaper than what I could get in most developed countries.
`
I assume this is because only the expensive places make it onto the English language sites, so can anyone shed some light on what I could expect to pay for ~100sqm if I'm not bothered about getting an A Class building and can find a local to do my negotiating for me?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Office Space in PP

Post by nerdlinger »

any thoughts at all on this?
What are some good locations or areas I should be looking at? As I say, I've no need for an A-grade office at a fancy address, but it does need to be a reasonable commute from where actual people live.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

What do you mean by a "no-frills IT business"? Will you need constant electricity and/or internet? Will customers physically come to your office? Will this be an officially licensed business, on on the down-low? Check this out: https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/h ... -t64.html
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Rent a villa on 371.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

chkwoot wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 am What do you mean by a "no-frills IT business"? Will you need constant electricity and/or internet? Will customers physically come to your office? Will this be an officially licensed business, on on the down-low?
B2B software dev, web design consulting etc. Mix of customer work for a constant revenue stream plus internal product dev to fill out any bench time. The aim would be to keep costs low enough that we could afford to spend a year training inexperienced devs, to make up for the shortage in the IT labour market. Looking at maybe 6-8 employees so I don't think doing it on the down-low would be an option. But, if the office+internet is going to cost more than the staff then it's over before it starts...

Internet and electricity is obviously important, but 10 minutes a few times a week wouldn't damage anything mission-critical. Servers would all be on the cloud.

Might occasionally need meeting space for customers but there's no reason that can't be done with a Regus/servcorp hourly-rate office.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

vladimir wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:30 am Rent a villa on 371.
I'll take a look at that, thanks.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

its not just the office. if you have 8 Khmer and they have to commute most places charge $1 a day to park a bike, so that's $20 to $30 a month they are going to lose off their salary if they got a bike, otherwise they are going to need to pay for motodup. I hope you are paying them well. You could rent a whole house for under $200 if you don't ark yourself in the middle of the city and use the ground floor for parking
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic