SKV Post Office Scam Busted

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: SKV Post Office Scam Busted

Post by Sailorman »

Willy: If being intelligent and legally smart equals " tight Arse" that's me. If your an American and collect Social Security, I got it so Cambodia is no longer a banned country to live in and now stopped the post office scam. BTW/No pony-tail and not loud. I believe in action, not drawing attention to myself in public. (I don't set and swill beer all day like some old farts like me and don't go to the main beach.)

BTW/ I was in the Sihanoukville Post Office and their were officials there doing some kind of audit. Looks like the headquarters of CambodiaPost is looking into the corruption.(or wants their cut.)

Jo: Sorry you are right, it was Oct 2011. Can't remember the bus though. So it would be 1795 days, 4 hours, 10minutes, 25 seconds. Will try to more accurate next time.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Hello sailor, sorry about the truck allegation. I forgot that you were too busy down at the PO sorting out the outrageous corruption there. Good work and I hope that you continue your crusade with the rest of the Cambodian bureaucracy.
Like the boy with the barrow, you have a lot of work in front of you.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Sailorman wrote:In the 5+ years I've been here, every time I pick up a package from the Sihanoukville Post Office, I am charged a "fee." The "fee" was usually $1. and with multi packages as high as $5. It doesn't matter if its an EMS package or other. I did some research with the Universal Postal Union (UN treaty that Cambodia signed), and found out that all shipping fees are paid at country of origin. (except customs fees)

I contacted CambodiaPost and asked them about the "Fee." I got a real song and dance with answers like "Cambodia is a poor country and America is rich, that is way a fee is charged." The topper was that the "fee" was for "storage" and they quoted from the UPU manual on packages that are not picked up for a long period of time. I informed them that I pick up within a couple hours of being delivered and have the receipts to prove it. I am contacting the Universal Postal Union, Bern, Switzerland and told the official at CambodiaPost I was doing so.

In the past few days I received a couple packages (EMS and other) and there was no "Fee." I also don't see a couple of the "employees" I usually see behind the counter. Looks like the officials from CambodiaPost may have done some house cleaning.

well done Sailorman. :thumb: loads of bad stories about that place. time they were taken down. Cambodia is poor country, which means we can steal off foreigners. fucking idiots. i used the place downtown , same as though...
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Willy: I don't really care about the rest of the Cambodian government corruption, just the part that costs me money. Some of the corruption is actually good for us expats as its cheap compared to our home countries. Here, police stop you for a few dollars (cash), in America and elsewhere you get stopped its usually going to cost $$$$, may involve an attorney/jail-time and screw up your life for a while. Some of the charm here is the corruption. As I said, Thailand 35 years ago, just add ATMs and the internet.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I agree, the corruption here is used to advantage by everyone. In the west only the rich and powerful can access it.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I am lost somewhere. Someone is complaining about paying 2500 riel for a parcel. It was same in PP when I collected $30 of clothes sent from Europe, except I was told it was import tax. I think import tax on clothes is about #0% so it should have been nearer $10 in tax. maybe the huy who is complaining and hates corruption so much should go back to the post office and demand his 2500 back and insist they charge him the correct import duty
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I am lost somewhere. Someone is complaining about paying 2500 riel for a parcel. It was same in PP when I collected $30 of clothes sent from Europe, except I was told it was import tax. I think import tax on clothes is about 30% so it should have been nearer $10 in tax. maybe the huy who is complaining and hates corruption so much should go back to the post office and demand his 2500 back and insist they charge him the correct import duty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic