FOR SALE: Khmer440.com [SOLD!]

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: FOR SALE: Khmer440.com

Post by Soi Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:Image
I agree with FC, to me it's like looking at a recipe in Chinese.
I'm pretty sure he just posted the recipe for diet Coke.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

OrangeDragon wrote:basically every time that line of javascript i posted is called, it sends info to google saying it has a visit (and what page/etc). if you do it twice per page, it's 2 visits. 3 times, 3 visits... and so on.
LoL, you mean that the Google Analytics stats KiR posted are DOUBLED the real numbers, and the real numbers are only ½ that that they published? No way! ! ! !

I hope these aren't the numbers that the new K440 owner took into account when deciding on a price. Ha! If so, they got totally duped based on FALSE stats!

To be honest, I'm with Flying Chicken.

Can someone more tech savvy that me confirm that the way K440's page is set up, it doubles the stats in Google Analytics?

If that can be verified, that's HUGE, and I feel bad for their advertisers who think they are getting double the views they think they got, and for whoever the new guy who bought K440 is who doesn't know it's only getting half the traffic that is reported.

Anyone? I would have no idea how to even begin verifying this, LoL! ? !
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:In case they change it and deny it ever happened... which I don't at all put past them... here are some screencaps, notice the line numbers:

Nice call, OD - that's dodgy.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

For the uninitiated, the UA-21688021-1 number is the UA-ID number, a unique identifier. The trackPageview command is a push instruction to tell Google Analytics to increment the page view counter for that page by 1. If the command is called twice on the same web page, and pushes to the same UA-ID each time, it is effectively incrementing the page view count by 2 - or doubling the actual page views. In web design and monetisation, this is known as a Bad Thing.

Edit: no doubt someone will be sent to dispute this, so I'll add a caveat. There are a couple of instances where programmers do need to use that 'push' line twice, the most common one is for when the page is being viewed asynchronously - if this is meaningless, ignore it or Google it. However, the coding is changed slightly using a local variable to keep this legitimate. The code shown in OD's screenshots is not (from the code given) legitimate. Another argument that could be offered is that the two calls are 'nested' in a conditional statement, however this is not the case.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Yeah, phpbb doesn't do async page loading. (though at times I wish it did... like loading the first unread post and the layout, then loading the rest after it "later" as you scroll).
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote:
Edit: no doubt someone will be sent to dispute this, so I'll add a caveat. There are a couple of instances where programmers do need to use that 'push' line twice, the most common one is for when the page is being viewed asynchronously - if this is meaningless, ignore it or Google it. However, the coding is changed slightly using a local variable to keep this legitimate. The code shown in OD's screenshots is not (from the code given) legitimate. Another argument that could be offered is that the two calls are 'nested' in a conditional statement, however this is not the case.
Well, this sounds pretty bad, and I hope the advertisers and new buyer weren't misled by these false stats KiR has been posting. Unless the new owner is a computer whiz programmer, I'm guessing he wouldn't have caught this stuff! Ouch.

Maybe Bendix will bring a friend along next time who can try to explain these doubled stats, LoL...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:Yeah, phpbb doesn't do async page loading. (though at times I wish it did... like loading the first unread post and the layout, then loading the rest after it "later" as you scroll).
That's a nuisance.
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

General Mackevili wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Well, this sounds pretty bad, and I hope the advertisers and new buyer weren't misled by these false stats KiR has been posting. Unless the new owner is a computer whiz programmer, I'm guessing he wouldn't have caught this stuff! Ouch.

Maybe Bendix will bring a friend along next time who can try to explain these doubled stats, LoL...
The people that bought it don't know this stuff. If they did they wouldn't have bought it. Even an idiot like me can throw a website together so there is very little value in buying one, unless you believe in the brand. The guy from Charlie harpers already meniioned what the potential worth is and he also operates a website in the Cambodian marketplace.

The idea of anybody buying 440 just because of some templates in place, that is tech savvy to any degree is just outlandish. Anybody with half a brain can do this. So I guess it must be Gavin Mac's articulate and well thought out articles they must be after?

Whoever bought it and whatever they do is bound to be a front page success. Extra, extra, read all about it!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Oh come now General, Bendix will say it never happened and that we're being melodramatic/etc. Ultimate apologist.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:Oh come now General, Bendix will say it never happened and that we're being melodramatic/etc. Ultimate apologist.
"Khmer440 Admin? Who...me? TAXI !!!"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic