Exploring Chinese investment in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Exploring Chinese investment in Sihanoukville

Post by Barang chgout »

I may be wrong Andy, but it seems as if the Chinese bring their own everything! Must be a Chinese takeaway somewhere!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:03 pm I may be wrong Andy, but it seems as if the Chinese bring their own everything! Must be a Chinese takeaway somewhere!

Had been talking to a few freinds there lately. The ones whom own their own houses and businsses don't seem to have a problem with the Chinese, and to be fair they are spending a little time and money in the western and khmer establisments. It is still very early days, lets see later what the outcome maybe. One thing I have learn't, people don't like change.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:03 pm I may be wrong Andy, but it seems as if the Chinese bring their own everything! Must be a Chinese takeaway somewhere!

Had been talking to a few freinds there lately. The ones whom own their own houses and businsses don't seem to have a problem with the Chinese, and to be fair they are spending a little time and money in the western and khmer establisments. It is still very early days, lets see later what the outcome maybe. One thing I have learn't, people don't like change.
Thats not what I'm hearing from Khmer small businesses. In the early days, yes. There was hope that the money would be spread around. That doesn't seem to be the case. The Chinese are bringing almost everything from outside and setting up their own networks and supplies which are by-passing the locals. The Chinese are paying big prices that the local people can't match. That's what I hear anyway. Most are not so much angry as desperate - where can we go now ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic