1st Annual Sihanoukville Rib Cook Off

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

1st Annual Sihanoukville Rib Cook Off

Post by LaudJohn »

The first Annual Sihanoukville Rib Cook Off is to be held at Charlie Harpers Bar in Sihanoukville in October 2014.

There are already 4 confirmed entries including the Phnom Penh based winner of the people’s choice in the one off Sharkeys rib cook off held a couple of years ago.

This is a first notice to call for entries, from business’ and private individuals. A couple of racks of ribs will be required.

It will be run along the same lines as the highly successful Charlie Harpers Annual Sihanoukville Chili Cook off.

The judges will eat first then the remaining ribs will be open to the public to sample to determine the people’s choice award.

Beers will be $1 with 50 cents of that going to a local charity.

In addition to the ribs a local business has offered to supply a huge pot of flavoursome homemade Barbeque Beans and a large coleslaw. Charlie Harpers may also put on some foil wrapped baked potatoes, so a decent feed is offered.

There will be a call for judges made closer to the date, which will be firmed up within the next couple of months.

Date Update: Saturday, October 18

Now up to 5 confirmed entries including 2 from Phnom Penh
Last edited by LaudJohn on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: 1st Annual Sihanoukville Rib Cook Off

Post by flying chicken »

I hope arent one of the judges LaudJohn. Otherwise the public will be left with bones. :D
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Ribs... or pork loins with rib bones attached?
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

flying chicken wrote:I hope arent one of the judges LaudJohn. Otherwise the public will be left with bones. :D

True, I love my ribs.

But alas I am just one of the competitors (and helping Tony to get this thing going).
Last edited by LaudJohn on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

OrangeDragon wrote:Ribs... or pork loins with rib bones attached?

Up to the competitor as to what they want to submit.

As you would have noted from the Chili competition some peoples definition of Chili varies widely, no doubt so too does various people definition of Ribs. An example is the Rusty Keyhole famous ribs which I would say fit your definition of ribs above as opposed to the traditional baby back ribs.

I expect an entry from you!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Poncho villa in Phnom Penh did some great ribs back in the day
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Will chill-axn guesthouse be entering with their famous "better than sex" ribs?
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

:good: :thumb:
LaudJohn wrote:
flying chicken wrote:I hope arent one of the judges LaudJohn. Otherwise the public will be left with bones. :D

True, I love my ribs.

But alas I am just one of the competitors (and helping Tony to get this thing going).
:good:
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

LaudJohn wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Ribs... or pork loins with rib bones attached?

Up to the competitor as to what they want to submit.

As you would have noted from the Chili competition some peoples definition of Chili varies widely, no doubt so too does various people definition of Ribs. An example is the Rusty Keyhole famous ribs which I would say fit your definition of ribs above as opposed to the traditional baby back ribs.

There will be one, but I doubt it will win. I make great ribs, but don't include the full loin like Keyhole and Charlie Harper's do... cuts like that will likely win.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

OrangeDragon wrote:
LaudJohn wrote:

There will be one, but I doubt it will win. I make great ribs, but don't include the full loin like Keyhole and Charlie Harper's do... cuts like that will likely win.

Don't be so sure. Ribs are about flavour and texture and juiciness. The thinner the meat the more flavour IMHO. In fact even without having tried your ribs I will bet that you will beat Charlie Harpers.

Thanks for your non retractable commitment , we now have 6 entries.

This could be bigger than Ben Hur.

(Note to self must organise some international media coverage).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic