Frenchman Medine Emeric Philippe Killed in Kampot

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Frenchman Medine Emeric Philippe Killed in Kampot

Post by Anchor Moy »

superferret wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:24 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:58 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:09 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 pm Riding a motorbike at speed whilst drunk, wonder if they were wearing helmets ?
Judging by the state of his face, I think not.
What do posters think of the helmets here! Do they offer any protection at all?
Is this question a joke? Of course they offer protection, if you happen to hit your head, a helmet would be the difference between life and death
as it would absorb the shock instead of your head being split open. Why do you think they're mandatory? I always wear one.
I suppose he means the quality of the helmets ? Quite a few moto accident photos show the helmet lying on the road like they came off with the impact.

Unless the helmets get removed before they take the photos ? :?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I see many helmets either in the carry basket to be placed on head if [police seen ahead or plonked on the head without any fastenings completed. In the event of an accident there is no protection as they would fall off.
The quality is varied and when buying one you generally get what you pay for.
I cheated and brought mine from home country.
HaramBarang
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by HaramBarang »

Was the Frenchman just passing through or was he a long time stayer? He reminds me of someone I had a run in with about a year ago in Kampot..
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

No point in wearing a helmet if you don't do up the chinstrap.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Barang chgout wrote:No point in wearing a helmet if you don't do up the chinstrap.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
This.
Icecream containers only work when you seal the lid.

There's lots of anecdotal examples of cheap helmets not helping, like youtube videos of them caving like butter under sledge hammers and so on, but I've never seen a real scientific comparison.

I would imagine a well fitted, properly secured cheap helmet would outperform bare noggin in 99% of cases.
HaramBarang wrote:Was the Frenchman just passing through or was he a long time stayer? He reminds me of someone I had a run in with about a year ago in Kampot..
There's only photos of the surviving guy's 1 month entry stamp, which would indicate tourist.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

True story of a motorbike rental helmet.
Got off the bike, hung the helmet on the handlebars, the clasp opened, the helmet hit the ground and cracked clean in two. It was like watching what would happen to my head.

So, I bought a helmet.
The end. (And I wear it now. )
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Those little Vietnamese rental helmets won't do shit in an accident. 90% of the time the tourists (and locals) have them on with the chin strap hanging down five cm from their chin. They barely cover the top part of the head in the first place (WW1 Pommie style), forget about the face or back of the head... In a crash in any side, the momentum would make the helmet go the other way (or rather, the head would move "away" from the helmet), totally exposing the head. Better than nothing for sure, but to be truly effective in any way, the helmet needs to fit you properly and be of good quality. If the helmet moves at all when you shake your head "no", it doesn't fit... Full face for me unless slowly puttering along quiet streets near my place.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

HaramBarang wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:09 pm Was the Frenchman just passing through or was he a long time stayer? He reminds me of someone I had a run in with about a year ago in Kampot..
Photos of the surviving frog's passport show that he had been to Russia, Japan, and Korea in recent months. I got the impression the two of them were travelling together.
HaramBarang
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by HaramBarang »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:07 am
HaramBarang wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:09 pm Was the Frenchman just passing through or was he a long time stayer? He reminds me of someone I had a run in with about a year ago in Kampot..
Photos of the surviving frog's passport show that he had been to Russia, Japan, and Korea in recent months. I got the impression the two of them were travelling together.
Thanks, probably wasn't him then.
Jean
Tourist
Angola

Post by Jean »

How can you put those pictures here ? I remember you face and i’m Coming to Kampot for you now... don’t move.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic