Getting married to a Khmer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Getting married to a Khmer

Post by pczz »

Bangkokhooker, check your facts before you tell other people they have the wrong information. I have spoken to the Singapore marriage registry, reply published above. Hong kong also said the same. the internet, especially government websites and marriage firms are often wrong because they are not updated so i ALWAYS check with the authorities in country. Even the embasies do not know simple things.
leitfaden
Expatriate
Germany

Post by leitfaden »

I ddi my mariage on aero in dänemark in 2015. The Agency wanted some papers more than just the pasport, but it was quite easy to organise it in comparison to a mariage in cambodia. If I remenber well , your "friend" needs from each person:

+ passport
+ an valid EU-Visa (tourist visa is enough) for her
+ a single paper from both (for her: you can go to the notary in europe an let do him a letter, that say, she is not maried/For him: from his homecountry)
+ a adresse paper (for her:can also do it at a notary in Europe, where you just confirm the adress in cambodia)
+ Birth certificates from both (for her: with englisch translation)
+ 500-600 EU for the Agency

....if i remenber well, thats it. Than you can have a EU-Mariage certificate.If you compare to the camobodia requirements (where I need to show my salary to Khmer Police....hahaha......never I will do that lol......Then they come on the Idea to want 10.000, 20.000 or 30.000 $ from me to have the needed papers.....never !

I don't know from witch contry your "friend" is. I am german. When I tried to do a long term visa for EU for my wife, they say me, that she enter the EU with the wrong Visa and she have to go back to PP, to ask for the right Visa (Family Visa) in the german embassy.

To have it, she have to pass before the language test A2 in the German Shool in PP. With the mariage certificate and the successfull language test attest, they will give her it in Phnom Penh. Just then, she can go back to Europe and live there.

That is all the process, they have to absolve......but all that take some months.....

With Singapour I will be carefull. At the time, my now-Wife (at the time GF) doenst know the adress of the hotel in Singapour, they didn't let her enter to singapour and don't let me talk with her. I was at the airport, but the custom in singapour didn't care. At the end, I can not talk with her, they send her back to cambodia and I had to pay the ticket back....Good Luck there !

Check the requerements in Ireland.....that was at the time similar to aero.....for me it was more next to go to aero....
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Ok we are going through this with the greeks at the moment. To clarify the issue of visas is dependent on the country. A schengen "c" visa is for a maximum of 3 months. You cannot generally get a 'c' visa and then apply for residence when you arrive. This is country specific becasuse there are special cases for refugees and a few other things.
To appy for residence you need a schengen 'd' visa. These are governed by national law, not the schengen code so requirements differ from country to country. For greece she has to have sufficient income to support herself {2000 euro per month + 15% per child. She also has to have comprehensive health cover. When she has the 'd'd visa she has to go to greece and apply for residence on the basis of family reunification or havig independent means. the financial requirements are differetn if married to a greel resident
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

You can handle this in Cambodia one of two ways:
1) PM me for the name of an agent who will handle any marriage issue for tea money no questions asked. It will be up to you to negotiate the fee though because frankly I don't care what he charges you.

2) Handle it yourself. A little cleverness goes a long way in the KOW. For example, have a question about the $2500 a month? Remember that contract you signed when your buddy back home hired you to work remote in the KOW that states your income? Yeah that one...and surely you still have that photocopied sheet of checks he has written you showing what you've been paid per month, right? Because that is all the documentation they need...Every other item on the list should be just as easy to get. The only one that requires cash is the age requirement. If you are over 50, you will have to cough up cash.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I wonder if at any stage the tax department would ask you for proof of tax payment on your stated income?

That could be fun,
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic