Building in Kep.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Building in Kep.

Post by Flexnez »

Barang chgout wrote:I doubt that any warranty here will be worth the paper it's written on. Interested to here WHEN you try and claim.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Actually, Borey New World used to honour its one year warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I think Boreys are a different story, though, when you compare them to a single, free-standing place.

They probably sign maintenance contracts with the developers/admins.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

whiteribbon wrote:Yes Sailing Club.
And to answer the warranty doubts, I only make my final 5% payment the last day of the warranty so that gives some kind of leverage and also the chance to go through a wet and dry season to see if there are any faults.
So how long is this warranty for? One year? Two? Ffs! It's a HOUSE! One would generally hope one's house should last 2 years imo, Lol!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Haha yes I kind of gave away how long my warranty is by saying I could test it through a dry and wet season. My negotiation skills probably aren't that good. But have to say there was never talk about a warranty till after I negotiated the price. So I'm sure it will be honoured if they want their last payment.
Guess you could negotiate a longer warranty before the final price is agreed upon but think they would just charge you more in that case.
I'm happy that I've got something! It's not usual here apparently to give a warranty on an individual house.
just noise, white noise
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Correct but it is usually on items such as Air con units, Electrical installations, drainage, pool pumps and items that have a possible failure ability.

In your case if they are going to grass the roof it would include water proofing of same.

Many contracts have a with holding payment subject to a warranty period.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

500$/m2 is steep, but how you calculated it?
(Walled villa area x floors + pool area)x500 ?
(Does the 500 also includes costs for patios, outdoor features land filling and perimeter wall?)
I understand they include some fittings and some furnishings right?
Unless you can trust the building company 100% I would feel mighty uncomfortable with the idea of relinquish 99% of control over a project.
Have a western electrician give a look to your electrical system plan at least a couple of times before and during installation, if they get that wrong (aka khmer style) its very expensive to fix.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Hm don't remember how I got to that price, I'll look it up another time but yes... It's Everything included, swimming pool, airco's and furniture, lights and garden plants...etc. I only will need to buy tv's and fridges and washing machine and some artwork of course. And the cost already went down btw, like I said in one of my previous posts, they already discounted around $4000 for foundations cause the initial soil tests indicated some wrong figures.
just noise, white noise
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Oh and yes, the company can be trusted. They did some pretty big projects both commercial and residential already so they have a reputation to uphold I think.
just noise, white noise
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

And btw a western electrician did the house I'm living in now and have nothing but trouble with my electrics here so don't be so quick to say western is automatically better than a properly educated khmer electrician.
just noise, white noise
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Unfortunately I don't think there are many properly educated khmer electricians as there are no guilds or licenses for electricians. The only school which trains electricians decently is Don Bosco. Especially regarding planning you are better calling an electrical engineer than an electrician anyway a khmer engineer will not ask you a lot of money for a plan. The western electrician is mostly useful for avoiding silly mistakes during the installation or avoiding the installation workers to cheap out on materials (aluminium cables instead of copper for example)
Last edited by Jack.R. on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic