Violence in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Violence in Sihanoukville

Post by LTO »

Joker Poker wrote:I guess you have to turn into an arsehole to survive.
And you'd have to be an idiot not to realize that before taking the job.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

LTO wrote:
Sailorman wrote:It all comes down to poorly paid, poorly led, lazy police.
Isn't low pay or laziness. Men that become cops know about the pay before they take the job. They take the job because they are corrupt and being a cop puts them in a position where they can make money from being corrupt. And they don't do their jobs as police, not because of laziness but because their job is not to 'protect and serve' let alone enforce the law. Their job is to enrich themselves using the law as a vague pretence. The problem is corruption from top to bottom and a completely different understanding of what it is to be a cop.
Sailorman wrote:At some point if they want to keep the money rolling in, they will have to form tourist police squads, secure the beach area, kick the Cambo pipe-heads out and/or jail them, and do intelligence work on the gangs and break them up.
Agreed. Well, that and seeing this sort of activity as the job of the police.
They don't really "take" the job... they "buy" the job. And every so often they have actions to see who is stationed in the prime locations. The racket comes down from the top.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

OrangeDragon wrote:
LTO wrote:
Sailorman wrote:It all comes down to poorly paid, poorly led, lazy police.
Isn't low pay or laziness. Men that become cops know about the pay before they take the job. They take the job because they are corrupt and being a cop puts them in a position where they can make money from being corrupt. And they don't do their jobs as police, not because of laziness but because their job is not to 'protect and serve' let alone enforce the law. Their job is to enrich themselves using the law as a vague pretence. The problem is corruption from top to bottom and a completely different understanding of what it is to be a cop.
Sailorman wrote:At some point if they want to keep the money rolling in, they will have to form tourist police squads, secure the beach area, kick the Cambo pipe-heads out and/or jail them, and do intelligence work on the gangs and break them up.
Agreed. Well, that and seeing this sort of activity as the job of the police.
They don't really "take" the job... they "buy" the job. And every so often they have actions to see who is stationed in the prime locations. The racket comes down from the top.
Yup. I was being too generous.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

As I said before, it comes down from the top. As anyone who has been in the military knows you lead men by example. Poor/corrupt leadership and you have a lawless town, corrupt/low paid police, dangerous roads/streets to drive on, and crime rampant in the streets. Yes, I know they "buy" their jobs and positions on the streets to collect money on sunny days. You "buy" a job, you are "taking" the job.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

The cops are not corrupt because the leadership made them corrupt. They joined so they could be corrupt and profit from it, like a thief joins a gang of thieves.
LTO Cambodia Blog

Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

The top cop allows the corruption because he is corrupt. It only takes the top cop to stop corruption, but that will never happen. Leading by example, in this case stealing from the public by example. Yes, the police here are just basically a gang with uniforms who have their hands out when called. There is no Esprit De Corps, and honest cop could make that happen, a dishonest one won't. Make honest people want to be part of an elite/classy unit, not a broken down bunch of thieves-in-uniforms. Leading by example.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

OrangeDragon wrote: They don't really "take" the job... they "buy" the job. And every so often they have actions to see who is stationed in the prime locations. The racket comes down from the top.
Spot on Dragon. Just like to add, over here the big boss cops usually boozing out with their mates and secret mistresses or at home most of the day. Most of the time, they only go to the station to collect their cuts.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I'd like to add something as well... much as I dodge them myself, traffic cops pay a few grand for their position... Do the math on what $3000, + another few hundred every year or so to keep your spot, takes to pay back at $1 per stop from barangs. Assuming a cop works 5 days a week, so about 200 days a year with holidays and such, 15 barang stops a day will just barely pay back the first year... and that's not counting food/rent/etc.

At times, when doing that math, I almost feel like giving them extra. Almost.

I mention barang stops, because khmer get by with significantly less many times.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

you pay for an officer rank you don't pay 3k just to join the force at the lowest rank...
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:you pay for an officer rank you don't pay 3k just to join the force at the lowest rank...
Not sure about here honestly, these were the figures I'd heard for Phnom Penh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic