Black mold info

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Black mold info

Post by lostjeremy »

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

Im needing some type of website or document in Khmer explaining the dangers of black mold.

Ive tried my best with my 'semi-Khmer' the best I could and not 2 shits were given.

I know health and prevention arent a big priority for the poorer folks here but Id like to get my point across the best I can.

So any links or direction would be great.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Black mold info

Post by taabarang »

Maybe I've been lucky, but in 16+ years in Cambodia I've never seen mold of any kind. Maybe you should wash more often.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

lostjeremy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:09 pm Not sure if this is the correct forum.

Im needing some type of website or document in Khmer explaining the dangers of black mold.

Ive tried my best with my 'semi-Khmer' the best I could and not 2 shits were given.

I know health and prevention arent a big priority for the poorer folks here but Id like to get my point across the best I can.

So any links or direction would be great.

Had they not given 3 or more shits, you would know that you would have really wasted your time so consider what you have told those you spoke to a
big success story. Next time try teaching them something simple like wearing a helmet when on their bike or brushing their teeth before they go to bed.

Oh hang on,,,I not sure if this is the right forum for giving advice.

Sorry.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

This is a family member who wanted me to look at a house they want to rent. It was used as some kind of factory the past 15 years and still has big refrigeration units in it. It was crawling with various molds that no amount of bleach and flame throwers could remove.

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Tell them there's ghosts in there. That's a real, current risk, unlike the abstract possibility of severe health issues from mycotoxins.

Googled around, found nothing on Khmer language on molds and health risks.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

What exactly is so dangerous about black mold? Is it because it is black?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Stachybotrys chartarum or "black mold" is definitely a problem here. About 10 years ago, my sister-in-law dated an American microbiologist doing research on water quality in Cambodia. He noticed lots of different types of molds in the places he stayed, so he put them under his microscope and found black mold spores in many samples. He said that it seemed to be more prevalent in wooden structures.

https://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm

Even if you are able to get a Khmer translation, it probably won't help. Just teach them to wash and SCRUB all molds away as soon as they appear. Wear gloves and a surgical mask. And teach them that washing something means using some kind of soap, not just water. Also don't use the scrubbing device for anything else. They might listen and understand, but getting them to practice this daily is another story. Generations of Khmer have lived to ripe old ages of 50 or more, without knowing anything about germs, so who the hell are you to tell them what to do, you arrogant white-devil you. But, if you tell them that evil ghosts can spawn from black mold, then they might really listen.

Good luck! Been there, done that.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

first teach them not to eat prahoc which will give them liver flukes and kill them by age 60
let me know how you get on with that
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:52 am first teach them not to eat prahoc which will give them liver flukes and kill them by age 60
let me know how you get on with that
Yea.. Total waste of time if the guy is 65 years old.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic