Ceremony to be held for the 350 victims of Water Festival stampede

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ceremony to be held for the 350 victims of Water Festival stampede

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Memorials for this sad anniversary, but no accountability, no responsibility.
Commemoration for stampede victims
17 November 2017
PHNOM PHENH - Phnom Penh City Hall will organise a religious ceremony on Wednesday to commemorate victims of the Koh Pich stampede seven years ago.
Municipal Governor Khuong Sreng said the ceremony would take place at 7am at the memorial stupa near Koh Pich bridge.

Ten monks would mark the ceremony dedicated to more than 350 people killed on the bridge.
“This announcement is to invite Buddhists and relatives, especially the families of the victims, to attend the ceremony,” Mr Sreng said.

The government created a commission to find the cause of the stampede and said later it had been an accident. No official was punished or held responsible.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5090903/com ... e-victims/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ceremony to be held for the 350 victims of Water Festival stampede

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Families of Water Festival stampede victims come together
23 November 2017
- Families of the victims of Cambodia’s 2010 Water Festival stampede gathered on Wednesday at the scene of the fatal catastrophe that resulted in more than 300 deaths, paying respects and demanding accountability.

The stampede, which injured hundreds of festival-goers, occurred on a bridge to Koh Pich on the final day of the three-day celebration. No official reason has been given for what sparked the panicked crush of bodies, and authorities closed the weeklong investigation, with Prime Minister HE declaring it an accident.

Families were joined by authorities and 108 monks for a ceremony blessing the dead.

Huy Sam Ol, whose 17-year-old son was killed, asked authorities to take responsibility.

“I heard that there was a stampede and that’s why they ran over each other. I want to know who is going to take the responsibility for this case, because in the past, I heard that it is an accident and no one caused it, but that was it,” he said.

“I really want to know the reason [why it happened], but if they do not tell me, I do not know what to do. I can only organise the ceremony for my dead children,” said Nov Ros, whose two daughters died in the incident....
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/f ... e-together

In memory of the victims of the stampede at Koh Pich bridge, Phnom Penh Water festival 2010, Cambodia. RIP.
Scenes of the aftermath of the tragedy 2010.

[Video of the stampede on the bridge can be found on the darknet thread.]
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic