More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by phuketrichard »

do the russians still own the snake farm?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:52 pm do the russians still own the snake farm?
NOpe
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:17 pm
silversurfer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pm For some reason the very average looking Golden Lions statues at Snv have 158 pages of reviews on Tripadvisor...
Well, the Golden Lions is definitely a local landmark, and there are a (very) limited number of 'tourist' sites in Sihanoukville that you can post about on TA apart from beaches.
What else do TA propose as a must-see for the discerning tourist visiting Sihanoukville ? The nightmarket ? (Gone)The beach bars ? (Almost gone ?)
I like the place, but its hardly a cultural centre.
I hosted some fairly well off yet older western non gambling tourists this weekend on a tight schedule, our trip consisted of Douceur du Cambodge for the expat feel :D , Del Mar for cakes and more coffee, a photo shoot at tau pii, Sokha Hotel for the beach, Independance for the pool, and Mega for seafood (as the other two restaurants nearby were packed). Given the weather we cut out Ream and KRS was too long. No point going to Wats and stuff like that here, a joke compared to Thailand.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

(Very small) victory !

All construction site banners to be in Khmer
December 30, 2017
- Land Management Minister Chea Sophara has instructed provincial governors to see to it that construction site banners and signs are additionally written in Khmer. This measure is designed to promote the Kingdom’s cultural identity.

A letter signed by Mr. Sophara on Tuesday states that banners and signs on all construction sites must be written in the Khmer language, and predominate those in a foreign tongue.

“The Khmer script must be bigger than foreign scripts, and must be in the top row,” he said, specifying “bigger” as twice as large, and “in the top row” as being either above or before the foreign script, whichever fits best...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5098947/con ... ers-khmer/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

vladimir wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:48 pm The only way to avoid it is to specify a long lease with your landlord, but as you know, that doesn't count for as much as it would back home.

In any event, would you enjoy being surrounded by Chinese neighbours?

Enjoy noise and spitting much?
According to a lawyer the ONLY way of securing your lease is to pay for the period in advance. if you pay a full 3 years up front they cannot legally kick you out! I very much doubt you could stop a Khmer though so mit would just mean you lose 3 years rent. the real fun will start when the chinkies have kicked everyone out and start outbidding each other, then going broke. At which point the greedy bastard landlords will have no customers
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Chinkies? Really? I know I'm on my high horse toNight but surely that's not OK? I feel bad just reading your reply and I'm not Chinese at all. *snowflake?
just noise, white noise
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

whiteribbon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 pm Chinkies? Really? I know I'm on my high horse toNight but surely that's not OK? I feel bad just reading your reply and I'm not Chinese at all. *snowflake?
I am sorry if I offended you. I don't want to use Chinese because most Chinese are ok, but what we get coming to Cambodia seems to be the low end of the spectrum, involved in illegal scams and transported home by the real Chinese by the plane load
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

what about Chop Bloke for the kind of Chinese at the lower end? Much like a top bloke, but from Chinese descent...
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

pczz wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:27 pm
whiteribbon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 pm Chinkies? Really? I know I'm on my high horse toNight but surely that's not OK? I feel bad just reading your reply and I'm not Chinese at all. *snowflake?
I am sorry if I offended you. I don't want to use Chinese because most Chinese are ok, but what we get coming to Cambodia seems to be the low end of the spectrum, involved in illegal scams and transported home by the real Chinese by the plane load
Lol You didnt offend me personally since I'm not Chinese but I do have a lot of chinese friends and it just sounded so wrong to say chinkies when it would have been just as easy to type 'Chinese'. But I understand what you're saying ;)
just noise, white noise
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic