McLaren P1

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Pantsdragon
Tourist
Canada

Re: McLaren P1

Post by Pantsdragon »

That is a tragic thing to happen to a gorgeous vehicle.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

andy1 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 pm Funny how people here can be so pence wise and pound foolish. Get a one million dollar car, then proceed to have it brought it via some shitty truck that's not designed to specifically hold vehicles, along with I'm assuming a 17 year old driver... Likely uninsured, though that's not a big deal for guys like that.
IF you look at the facebook photos in the link it is a slide and tilt covered car transporter,so someone is already in the car moving game.
Nice catch, I totally missed that!
Edit: yeah you can see them removing the cover with crane. Wonder if they secured the car right at front of the trailer, a few back and it might have been fine, or the strappings gave out?
Last edited by Raybull on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:37 pm
chorlton wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:22 pm my friend graham I used to race with back home owns a p1 amongst many other exotic sports/hyper cars does transport, storage & servicing of them etc
https://gtsltd.co.uk/about/

to transport a p1 or similar all you need is a $15,000 enclosed raceshuttle type trailer & any 4x4 can tow it easily
https://gtsltd.co.uk/turatello-trailers/

im not sure id like to start a business dealing with the types of folk who own theses cars in Cambodia though......

is there really no existing providers for this work here ?
Can you imagine the cost here. Would it be cost effective (It would have been for the buyer of this P1). But how many customers would you have.
Surprisingly cheap those trailers but they wouldn’t cut it here IMO, nor on the freeways in TH. You would need a fifth wheel and better tires at the least!
Dunno how many there are, but the growth seems exponential, saw an Aventour, an F12 and a Maserati all within a couple hours this morning in Paradis sur Mer.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I passed the wreck site on the day it happened and it gave me shivers as my own car was transported on a samilar fashion just a few weeks earlier and still is at a Bangkok mechanic.
The P1 was already gone by the time I arrived, only the truck was there and t definitely wasn’t the standard crane flat beds I myself use as the best fit for the job I can locally source, while on the thai side it is a proper cars flat bed tow truck awaiting, cheaper too considering the distances involved.
However the accident took place on one of the easy curves probably involving some very standard local driving skills from all parties involved.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Should have looked more closely at the fb pics earlier! That rig is Thai plated also, so most likely driven by a Thai. The rig is straight on in the wrong lane, damage is to the left of the cab, and the other semi is in the ditch... what are the odds he momentarily forgot he was in Cambodia :fool: , and the other semi veered right into the ditch to avoid him? Does that jive with what you saw BDS?
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Raybull wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm Should have looked more closely at the fb pics earlier! That rig is Thai plated also, so most likely driven by a Thai. The rig is straight on in the wrong lane, damage is to the left of the cab, and the other semi is in the ditch... what are the odds he momentarily forgot he was in Cambodia :fool: , and the other semi veered right into the ditch to avoid him? Does that jive with what you saw BDS?

Interesting observation and theory. Personally I wouldn’t trust a thai driver hauling my car in Cambodia and vice et versa even though it’s value is nowhere near that of a P1. I actually wonder where it was being hauled to, Even if there is a Mc Laren service center in Bangkok, I remember a former owner telling on YouTube how the most outrageous Mc Larens hypercars must be send to England for any serious maintenance and repairs as any of the others very few worldwide authorized locations mostly care for the very basics such as tires and brake pads requiring very specialized,regular and expensive replacement :mrgreen: .
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:02 pm
Raybull wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm Should have looked more closely at the fb pics earlier! That rig is Thai plated also, so most likely driven by a Thai. The rig is straight on in the wrong lane, damage is to the left of the cab, and the other semi is in the ditch... what are the odds he momentarily forgot he was in Cambodia :fool: , and the other semi veered right into the ditch to avoid him? Does that jive with what you saw BDS?

Interesting observation and theory. Personally I wouldn’t trust a thai driver hauling my car in Cambodia and vice et versa even though it’s value is nowhere near that of a P1. I actually wonder where it was being hauled to, Even if there is a Mc Laren service center in Bangkok, I remember a former owner telling on YouTube how the most outrageous Mc Larens hypercars must be send to England for any serious maintenance and repairs as any of the others very few worldwide authorized locations mostly care for the very basics such as tires and brake pads requiring very specialized,regular and expensive replacement :mrgreen: .
The transport situation is definitely a conundrum, although I would surely choose the former option if need be. Given how often the super/hypercars need servicing, no wonder some extremely rich yet more pragmatic Khmers just buy a LX570 and a locally serviceable Audi, or Porsche etc., and call it a day.
Most likely the P1 was off to the Bangkok service centre, they must fly in a MSO tech for hypercar maintenance, but there's no middle ground now, either on the plane to Heaththrow or in some shady Khmer bodywork shop propped up on it's own hubs like that orange lambo a while back :shock: . Anyways, isn't the P15 available yet? There's always the P1 GTR as a tide over.
So the biz opp from the Cambodian side seems open, other than crane flatbeds, and the Thai competition is down a player, worthwhile Cambodian biz or no? I reckon it isn't, if I had one I'd be itching to drive it to THailand anyways, shred the highways, race some thais and hit the tracks. The Thais also have the dealerships, and thus the better contacts. Only way it could float is if most owners of these cars thought like you BDS, then the demand would be there atleast to the border, and still then, maybe only when their ride is broken down, or else why not just drive it there (Hypercars excluded)?
Just for reference, this is what the P1 came in on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic