Weapons search reveals gang of fake monks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Weapons search reveals gang of fake monks

Post by frank lee bent »

i thought real monks never take or ask for money.
maybe these guys were amulet or magic spell pedlars?

why don't they have those boddhisattva pendants here so beloved of thais?
that is a giant money racket.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:03 pm i thought real monks never take or ask for money.
maybe these guys were amulet or magic spell pedlars?

why don't they have those boddhisattva pendants here so beloved of thais?
that is a giant money racket.
I don't think monks sell anything tangible and they don't ask money for themselves. But money is solicited all the time to build a new pagoda or statues at the wat, or they need repairs, or they need some more gold leaf. Monks are also paid (good) money for their services at every kind of Cambodian ceremony, so they certainly take money, but it's for their wat.

I don't know for sure, but I presume that the fake monks cash in by dressing up and going door to door - hello, would you like to contribute to the new statue of Buddha ? The tales that I've heard or read about fake monks usually recount that a gang arrive in a village and tell the credulous locals that they should give contributions for something like a statue. They go through the whole village collecting money, and then clear out before the villagers realise it's a scam.
Note the one guy among the scammers who has longish hair - he's the driver because monks don't drive. And when they're not "working" they wear civilian clothes and stick their robes out of sight. Real pros. They only got busted because of a weapons search, which is pretty funny.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I expect soliciting cash as a monk is not likely. More likely is dressing as monks and gathering the mornings alms of free food, packets of noodles, bottle of water and the odd cash donation.

If you want to do it properly and collect money for repairs to the local temple or such, you need to be older and wear a white grandpa shirt with black leather trousers. They are the ones who solicit real money.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:16 pm I expect soliciting cash as a monk is not likely. More likely is dressing as monks and gathering the mornings alms of free food, packets of noodles, bottle of water and the odd cash donation.

If you want to do it properly and collect money for repairs to the local temple or such, you need to be older and wear a white grandpa shirt with black leather trousers. They are the ones who solicit real money.
This is the thread and link to the article about the other fake monks who were collecting money in Pursat.
topic11493.html
OP from this article:
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/31620/ ... -released/
Maybe not collecting 'real money', but better than instant noodles. :)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:16 pm I expect soliciting cash as a monk is not likely. More likely is dressing as monks and gathering the mornings alms of free food, packets of noodles, bottle of water and the odd cash donation.

unless you are a fake guru...............
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

That link just says they were collecting 'donations', but doesn't specify what those donations were. Monks don't specifically ask for cash donations.

OTOH, TIC.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Haven't seen any of those fake Korean monks around lately. What happened to them ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Pantsdragon wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 am This is really awful, but similar things happen all over the world.
Indeed, let's talk about the Catholic church, LOL
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

whats the real for there to be a fake version?

I see no difference between taking money without providing goods or service & taking money without providing goods or service: fraud.

I only see a placebo & extortion of vulnerable people.
such a shame
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic