Relationship options for the over 50's?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
UKJ
Expatriate

Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by UKJ »

I heard that over 50's foreign males aren't allowed to marry Khmer women, and neither are men earning less than $2,550. So who do over 50's go out with? Is it mainly ex hostesses?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by General Mackevili »

That info is technically true, but I know a few people that have gotten around the income requirement, and I'm guessing it's possible that some have gotten over the age restrictions too.

Also, many people just do the wedding ceremony without doing the actual paperwork to make it legally binding. This is the best of both worlds, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Friends of mine made arrangements and flew to Sri Lanka to get an official marriage .
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

If you mean to a Khmer woman, the marriage is not legal here.

Assuming he was Sri Lankan, it would be recognised there, but not here.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Sailorman wrote:Friends of mine made arrangements and flew to Sri Lanka to get an official marriage .
No locally approved free to marry affadavit required?
Using Tapatalk
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Like the Gen said. It can be circumvented. I think the restriction is decreed because the bigwigs are feared of cockblockers.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Officially, it was meant to prevent the bride-to-order trade/trend that ended up with abuses, rapes and deaths (?) of Cambodian women, most often at the hands of Chinese and Korean husbands.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Was it what the official said, or did you form this with your opinion. I dont know about the Chinese, but the case of over 50s korean spouse being abusive toward their Cambodian wife is rare. The case that were reported were more often about the VN and Filipinos. The Koreans govt was the one who initiate the restriction on their fellow citizens.

Let's talk about the Khmer govt. Their logic doesnt even make sense where foreign men over 50 required a certain amount of income which is more than the Cambodian Prime Minister salary. Let me try to make sense of the Khmer govt logic, being older meaning the potential wife is more prone to being abused? Since when did they care anyway? Talk about double standard!
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

flying chicken wrote:where foreign men over 50 required a certain amount of income which is more than the Cambodian Prime Minister salary.
I think the $2,500 per month income requirement is for men under 50. Those over 50 cannot marry a local woman. Though I'd guess there are ways around this.
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

flying chicken wrote:Was it what the official said, or did you form this with your opinion. I dont know about the Chinese, but the case of over 50s korean spouse being abusive toward their Cambodian wife is rare. The case that were reported were more often about the VN and Filipinos. The Koreans govt was the one who initiate the restriction on their fellow citizens.
You really need to stop being belligerent FC, especially to someone you clearly don't like!
It was readily reported when the original edict was released back in 2011!
Eg.......
Cambodia sets age limit for foreign husbands

Posted Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:21pm AEDT

Male foreigners over the age of 50 have been outlawed from marrying Cambodian women in the country under new rules designed to crack down on sham marriages and human trafficking, the government said.

Foreigners who earn less than $2,550 per month are also barred from wedding local women, foreign ministry spokesman Koy Kuong said, but the restrictions do not apply to weddings taking place overseas.

Marriages between old men and young women are "inappropriate", Mr Kuong said, and foreign men who wish to marry nationals must earn a high salary to ensure that "Cambodian women can live a decent life".

"We are preventing fake marriages and human trafficking," he said, adding that the government was aware of cases, documented by rights groups, where Cambodian women were sent into prostitution or "used as slaves" in their husband's home country.

The Cambodian foreign ministry has sent a diplomatic note to all the embassies and consulates in the country informing them of the new regulations, which came into effect on March 1.

Kek Galabru, president of local human rights group Licadho, praised the government's intention to protect Cambodian brides.

But she said the new guidelines "go against Cambodian marriage law and international law" - specifically the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women.

"This is discrimination against women because they will not be allowed to marry men who are over 50... while Cambodian men can marry any foreign woman they choose," she said.

Cambodia imposed a temporary ban on foreign marriages in 2008 to prevent human trafficking, amid concern over a sharp rise in the number of brokered unions involving South Korean men and poor Cambodian women.

That ban followed an International Organisation for Migration report that said many Cambodian brides suffered abuse after moving to South Korea in marriages hastily arranged by brokers who made large profits.

The restriction was lifted about eight months later after new laws were introduced to prevent women becoming mail-order brides.

- AFP
From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-03-16/c ... ds/2653258
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic