Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
badabing
Tourist
Australia

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by badabing »

been a regular holidayer to the KoW each year the past 5. Generally set up camp in PP and get the Giant Ibis up north and down south. Love the relaxed atmosphere and gets me out of the crappy winter each year!
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:53 am
Darkside wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:47 am They say Cambodia is like Thailand was 10 years ago, I hope so!
Whoever said that wasn't in Thailand 10 years ago.
Nah, not true, thais are and have always been overly concerned with getting rich
Khmers are more into a layback lifestyle.
Beebo
Tourist
Australia

Post by Beebo »

MrWorldwide wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 am
Beebo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 pm Been here on an off since 2006 and now back again...this place gets addicting. Not loving Phnom Penh much though, I didn't realise how good it was in Siem Reap while I was living there.
How come you're not enjoying PP?
First off I'm living in Toul Kork, purely for the commute, the wife works there and I'm at the airport so it makes the best sense.
I'm not a city person I guess and having to drive short distances that take 20-30 minutes is very frustrating. Yeah yeah, cry me a river, but the past 3 years I've had no commute and easy access to dining and drinking venues, so I've been very spoilt and perhaps having a real-world commute is a hard adjustment.
SR, being walkable and bikeable, just fitted me better I guess.
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

Hi, im a guy on the wrong side of 50, love visiting SEA countries...of course KAMPUCHEA is my favorite, been to Thailand, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, PI, Viet, India & Lao.
Hoping to find in future tours a place similar to Cambodia for its good points!
Can anyone recommend a country which shares the highlights of Cambodia apart from the countries ive noted here?
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

SEAfann wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:24 am Hi, im a guy on the wrong side of 50, love visiting SEA countries...of course KAMPUCHEA is my favorite, been to Thailand, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, PI, Viet, India & Lao.
Can anyone recommend a country which shares the highlights of Cambodia apart from the countries ive noted here?
Hi, you should visit Indonesia.
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 am
SEAfann wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:24 am Hi, im a guy on the wrong side of 50, love visiting SEA countries...of course KAMPUCHEA is my favorite, been to Thailand, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, PI, Viet, India & Lao.
Cheers, yes indeed Indo is next on the tour list, i do not want to go to the tourist hotspots such as Bali, but prefer a more relaxed trip away from maddening crowds of other farang, so the more remote or less traveled islands have the allure for us, can you recommend any places like that in Indo?
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

Hi all, i’m Borum, Ex from TOForum, I’ve made my first post and now I cannot see it myself anymore, i got two dislikes from phukeTHricTHard and another poster, many thanks, flowers and sincere kisses for that. The shite is, my post is moved, and i have no access to it, any way to solve this? Thx, Borum
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

SEAfann wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:32 am
Cheers, yes indeed Indo is next on the tour list, i do not want to go to the tourist hotspots such as Bali, but prefer a more relaxed trip away from maddening crowds of other farang, so the more remote or less traveled islands have the allure for us, can you recommend any places like that in Indo?
Off the beaten path in SEA seems exotic but can turn out to be boring.

Nowadays i prefer to have english speaking company, and good food around me.

Indonesia off you beaten path you may well find yourself in a bamboo hut fighting off food poisoning instead if living the indiana jones lifestyle.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

You don't see too many white people outside of Bali and Jakarta. I'd recommend Sumatra (Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang, Berastagi, Bukittingi, etc.), Kalimantan, and Sulawesi for starters. Try the Malaku Islands if you really want to go somewhere less travelled.
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:40 am
Off the beaten path in SEA seems exotic but can turn out to be boring.

Nowadays i prefer to have english speaking company, and good food around me.

Indonesia off you beaten path you may well find yourself in a bamboo hut fighting off food poisoning instead if living the indiana jones lifestyle.
hahaha yes thats true too!, but when i go to a place & see more farang than locals i know i shouldnt be there, i travel to see other countrie's people & lifestyle, not a heap of my countrymen behaving as usual ha
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic