Elephant-riding in Thailand - should it be banned ?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Re: Elephant-riding in Thailand - should it be banned ?

Post by ot mien kampf »

Anchor Moy wrote:Should change the name of the thread to "Another death by elephant in Thailand" - I'm making a collection - this one was in Chiang Mai 2 days ago:
http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/e ... g-mai-zoo/
There are countless stories of wild elephants storming out of forests and attacking people over thousands of years, recently because of habitat loss. Riding them has absolutely nothing to do with it and is keeping a lot of them alive.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Asia’s Performing Elephants Abused, Rights Group Finds
7 July 2017
BANGKOK — An animal protection group wants tourists to know that the elephant they are thinking about riding during their vacation in Thailand is probably a miserable victim of abuse.

London-based World Animal Protection looked at almost 3,000 elephants working at entertainment venues in six Asian nations and found three out of four of the animals are living in poor, unacceptable conditions. It said they were chained day and night when not working, received inadequate diets and unsatisfactory veterinary care, as well as undergoing harsh initial training, “that breaks their spirits and makes them submissive enough to give rides and perform.”

The group wants tourists to be aware and counsels tour agencies to shun abusive venues, among other measures. It says it has convinced more than 160 travel companies to stop sales and promotion of venues offering elephant rides and shows.

Wildlife tourist attractions, including wildlife entertainment, have become increasing popular and hence profitable, meaning the industry is likely to expand, the report warned.
The report surveyed elephants in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Sri Lanka and India, but identified Thailand as the home of three-quarters of all elephants kept in captivity for entertainment purposes.

Thailand’s first animal cruelty law took effect in December 2015, carrying up to two years in prison for torturing animals. But elephants are not covered by that law or by a separate one on wild animals...
https://www.voacambodia.com/a/asia-perf ... 31148.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Dermadone223344
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dermadone223344 »

:)
truenorth
Tourist
Canada

Post by truenorth »

Sounds like a good idea, I've only ridden an elephant at a Circus.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Pattaya: Chinese tour guide dead after tourist enrages elephant by pulling tail
22 December 2017
A Chinese tour guide was killed by an elephant yesterday after a tourist “behaving badly” enraged an elephant at a Pattaya camp.

The 17 year old male elephant called Uthen was carrying two tourists on its back near a group of other tourists. One of the tourists on the ground thought it was funny to pull its tail and it started charging, reported Siam Chon News.

Tour guide leader Mr He Yongjie was trying to get his clients clear of the elephant but was hit and kicked. He died at the scene and was covered in a white cloth.

One tourist was tossed off the elephant – another held on before mahout U Rungram managed to calm the elephant. Two other people who fell in the melee were taken to hospital.

Sakda in charge of safety at the Sam Liam Thong Kham (Golden Triangle) Camp said that they tried to get the tourists on the ground to safety but there was a lot of them and in the confusion everyone ran in different directions.

The mahout blamed one of the tourists for bad behavior in pulling the tail of the elephant enraging it.
http://www.samuitimes.com/pattaya-chine ... ling-tail/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Dancing elephants pay tribute to late Thai king.........................................................

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Put me on the list of people that have no desire to ride an elephant.

It's weird to me how afraid people are of sharks but will get on a 12,000 pound animal like it's no big deal, or would swim with a "Killer" whale, a cetacean with 4 inch teeth.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Seasquatch wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:43 pm Put me on the list of people that have no desire to ride an elephant.

It's weird to me how afraid people are of sharks but will get on a 12,000 pound animal like it's no big deal, or would swim with a "Killer" whale, a cetacean with 4 inch teeth.

Almost as scary as telling the cook how bad the meal was,,,,, while he is carving up a juicy steak with a 12 inch knife in his hand.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have ridden elephants; Africa, Thailand and Nepal, ( all decades ago) swam with various types of sharks, manta rays and Whale sharks
more scary with the sharks, as ur not in ur own environment.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:24 am i have ridden elephants; Africa, Thailand and Nepal, swam with various types of sharks, manta rays and Whale sharks
more scary with the sharks, as ur not in ur own environment.
African elephants are notoriously difficult to train and there is no way I'd go near one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic