More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by Kuroneko »

vladimir wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:31 am As prices go up in SNV, many people will move to Kampot...but, when Kampot goes the same way, to where?
Head for PP, TBH i'm glad I stayed in PP, well Prek Leap actually, but did live a long time in PP, I moved to Prek Leap four years ago and it is (or was) only ten minutes down the road. However the last two years has become tedious with the increase in population and traffic, but if you like country living there are heaps of places to go. I like the city but if it gets to much I'll change my lifestyle completely and head for Prey Veng. :shock:
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

tonetone420 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:10 am Fuck the Chinese for turning Sihanoukville into a bland, soulless place and killing off any charm that place has. And for kicking people out of their homes and businesses.
Don’t quite agree on your first point, and most tourists, non caucasian expats and khmers wouldn’t either. Just cause a few old expats bitch on FB expats group incessantly doesn’t make it so. Sure there’s a few less dingy hole in the wall barang hangouts, western oriented restaurants, and girlie bars, but there’s also more Chinese and Indo restaurants, more decent cafés and bakeries, most places are now open later as the chinese stay out later, and so on. Sucks about the housing situation as it’s affected quite a few, but the blame is on the Khmer owners and leasers who broke the contracts. Business owners near the beach have always knowingly been on short contracts so no surprise there regardless if what they say. Hopefully the container bars can relocate nearby.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Kep and kampot ( i'd love a place on the river) are great places to live
BUT only if u can create ur own entertainment and have a gf/wife
it has changed a lot in 4 months here.
it is booming in Kampot.
not just expats- a LOT of backpackers
So basically Kampot is turning into the Sihanoukville version of what most expats were bitching about before they started bemoaning the Chinese invasion, just with ‘better’ drugs but crappier brothels.
darayd
Expatriate
Australia

Post by darayd »

cptrelentless wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 pm
darayd wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 am Has Otres changed dramatically as well? Haven't been since 2013 so no doubt since then
Yep. So all of Otres 2 is a building site, there's a massive Chinese development behind the public beach, if you remember the road up to the wat from the beach, the bit up to the turn off for Otres market, is now a full on town, and Otres Market is no longer hidden in the woods.
Wow that's disappointing though expected I guess! Are the bars on the beach side getting kicked out as well (if there's any there still...)?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Kuroneko wrote:
vladimir wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:31 am As prices go up in SNV, many people will move to Kampot...but, when Kampot goes the same way, to where?
Head for PP, TBH i'm glad I stayed in PP, well Prek Leap actually, but did live a long time in PP, I moved to Prek Leap four years ago and it is (or was) only ten minutes down the road. However the last two years has become tedious with the increase in population and traffic, but if you like country living there are heaps of places to go. I like the city but if it gets to much I'll change my lifestyle completely and head for Prey Veng. :shock:
I'm guessing most lived in Snooky coz they don't want to live in PP.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

darayd wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:11 am
cptrelentless wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 pm
darayd wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 am Has Otres changed dramatically as well? Haven't been since 2013 so no doubt since then
Yep. So all of Otres 2 is a building site, there's a massive Chinese development behind the public beach, if you remember the road up to the wat from the beach, the bit up to the turn off for Otres market, is now a full on town, and Otres Market is no longer hidden in the woods.
Wow that's disappointing though expected I guess! Are the bars on the beach side getting kicked out as well (if there's any there still...)?
The bars on Otres 1 were supposed to leave in April. Still there. They have special 'white people only' nights...
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Anyone hearing Chinese buying up bars at Square?
Heard one of bars at front sold to Chinese for reasonable money.
Just the start!!
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I would have thought the square was all leasehold with the actual ownership of the land in the hands of a businessman. Buying a bar there means what exactly? Are we afraid the blow job palace will turn into the bwow jyob pawace?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

The way I see it, Cambodia is East-Asia's equivalent of Europe's Spain back in the day - good weather, low cost of living and good transport connections. It's a trend I am sure that is set to continue - why shouldn't it?
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Not that big of a surprise, there’s a Korean owned one already. What’s reasonable? At some point it becomes a suckers game taking over key money leases on the square, probably best to pay double the rent from an existing leaseholder for a fitted out bar. Guessing here but the whole rent total is probably around 8-9k$, but the owner is maybe taking in only around 6-7k$/month.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic