I finally got to Cambodia to marry....annnnnd....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
johnnycanuck2017
Tourist

I finally got to Cambodia to marry....annnnnd....

Post by johnnycanuck2017 »

Apparently the letter of non-impediment that was signed and stamped by the Canadian Embassy was rejected by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the reason they told my fiance was because it is not directly from Canadian Government (even though it has Government of Canada letterhead and stamped by the Canadian Embassy in Phnom Penh) its not valid because the embassy cannot verify if I am truly single or not, even though Canada itself does not have a certificate of celibacy/singleness, has anyone else come across this? and am I truly screwed now? my fiance did go to Mr. Vantha's office in the MoFA but it was not him she spoke with. On the two upsides, I now have a new X-Ray and certificate from Calamette saying I am STD free :P :beer3: but in all seriousness I dont know what else I can do, and I am in a bind :( if anyone could help me or give me suggestions I would be greatful
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: I finally got to Cambodia to marry....annnnnd....

Post by frank lee bent »

tea money
johnnycanuck2017
Tourist

i am entirely ignorant about all of this, is that basically how they suggest a bribe? do I slip him a $20 with the document and give it back to him? :P
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

a lot more than $20 i will bet
just go ask
johnnycanuck2017
Tourist

Mr. Official, Sir, how much to make this all go away? :P I know the answer will be like $1,000 USD my god getting hitched in HK looking better and better....its just that if they were seeking a bribe I wish they would just suggest it instead of making look like something I forgot in the actual paperwork (unless they are looking for a Province of Ontario Marriage Search Result which will take 6-8 weeks....but then they will just say its just in the province not Nation wide search) the really sad part is it is really stressing out my fiance :( and me too but I dont know what else to do at this point go back and say hey can I interest you in a bribe to make this all go away? (until I hit MoI and it all begins again...)
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

You have a "Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad"?

http://international.gc.ca/world-monde/ ... x?lang=eng

If not, that's what you'll need.

If you don't want to pay tea money, be prepared to wait. Months.
If you're in a real hurry, multiply that $20 by itself and you'd still be way down the low end of a cup of tea.

If you're not already following PSD kiwi's guide to navigating the marriage process, find it and follow it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

johnnycanuck2017 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm i am entirely ignorant about all of this, is that basically how they suggest a bribe? do I slip him a $20 with the document and give it back to him? :P
Don't straight out offer a bribe or the person might get offended. I'd suggest doing it in a very roundabout way, like politely asking if there is any way this matter could be sorted out.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
johnnycanuck2017
Tourist

That is the exact document that my fiance showed them stamped by the embassy in phnom penh, and they told her it was invalid because even though I swore an oath that the statement I gave to the embassy worker that I am singled and they signed it and stamped it, MoFA said it was not valid because its only the embassy (on behalf of my government?) saying I was legally swearing I am single and not the Canadian Government verifying (even though it is the government of Canada letterhead) that I am really truely single, as for the PSD-Kiwi marriage guide (sorry I could not think of a different way to say that) already read it, that is the information we are going off of, and Mr. Vantha who may not take bribes, but I guess his staff is more then happy to take them.....maybe a handler at this point WOULD have been a good idea...at this point my Fiance is thinking just thinking to pay the bribes....and me too over all the frustration this is causing....
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Why would you want to get legally married here if you don't live here and apparently don't intend to. I'm assuming you want to bring her back? If my assumptions are correct, don't bother with a Cambodian marriage, it's totally useless.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

It was $200 at the Ministry of the Interior for them to accept my wife's birth certificate after they complained it wasn't old enough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic