Photojournalist leaves Cambodia with conflicting emotions

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Photojournalist leaves Cambodia with conflicting emotions

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Leaving Cambodia: How do I do right by the place I called home?
Irish photojournalist Lauren Crothers on the conflicting emotions she is left with after seven years in Cambodia
When I last wrote for Generation Emigration in The Irish Times in 2011, I had been in Cambodia for just over a year. I was happily ensconced at a local English-language newspaper, The Cambodia Daily, a scrappy enterprise founded in 1993 with a vow to tell “All The News, Without Fear or Favour”.

Hired by the paper’s Irish then-editor-in-chief, Kevin Doyle, I started off editing and soon progressed to chasing stories and taking photographs of my own. I was deeply in awe of my Cambodian colleagues, whose skills at being able to get scoops by sidling up to high-ranking members of government at swimming pools, for instance, reminded me again and again of the kind of stuff that truly great reporters are made of...
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3287439
Some good photos.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
merlevedderman
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Photojournalist leaves Cambodia with conflicting emotions

Post by merlevedderman »

Good photos and a rather earnest op ed piece from someone with a clear emotional, social, and cultural investment. A picture may be worth a thousand words (especially from a skilled photojournalist), but she spoke her thoughts pretty damned effectively in addition to that. Thanks for the link.
mike.thompson
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Photojournalist leaves Cambodia with conflicting emotions

Post by mike.thompson »

Great article and even better images - Some excellent observations made.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic