Cambodian woman appeals on Facebook for rescue from Saudi Arabia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian woman appeals on Facebook for rescue from Saudi Arabia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A domestic worker who said she laboured in Saudi Arabia for 12 years without pay is due to return to Cambodia within a fortnight, a Ministry of Labour official said yesterday. Ministry of Labour Undersecretary of State Othsman Hassan said he expected Sanaa would be repatriated in the next 10 to 15 days.

“There is a company [who hired her]. She was an undocumented maid, and the company is illegal,” he said.

In February last year, a memorandum of understanding was inked between Cambodia and Saudi Arabia to establish a pipeline for Cambodian maids, but the MoU has yet to be implemented, Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour said.
“Right now, any sending [of maids] is considered illegal. There is no one officially sent to Saudi Arabia,” he said.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/m ... set-return
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I believe in KSA, one needs a visa to get OUT of the country. A maid who has been duped into working there illegally would be absolutely screwed. It's quite conceivable she could be held a 'slave' for twelve years.
You could be next.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Exactly. Plus they take your passport... On a creepy sidenote, anyone else find her cute? She must have gone there at 18 or something because she still looks quite young.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Micmac »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 am On a creepy sidenote, anyone else find her cute?
Your taste in woman is appalling :good:
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 am On a creepy sidenote, anyone else find her cute?
At first I thought she was a ladyboy. Answer your question? :)
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

August 30, 2017
- A Khmer Muslim woman has arrived back in Cambodia after being forced to work for no pay for a family in Saudi Arabia.
Math Sanas, 28, was rescued after pleading for help in a Facebook video that was shared many times.
Cambodian secretary of state at the Ministry of Labour Datuk Othsman Hassan came to pick her up at Phnom Penh International Airport.
He said a court in Saudi Arabia ordered her employer to compensate her.

Ms Sanas, originally from Kampong Thom’s Baray district, said at the airport that she went to work as a maid in Saudi Arabia when she was 16, through a company which had since changed its name.
“My employer tore up my passport,” she said.
“They did not allow me to have any connection or relationship with others for 12 years and did not give me a wage. “One day, I had enough money to buy a phone and use Facebook to post a video seeking help,” she said...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5080580/sau ... omes-home/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Maid’s ordeal in Saudi Arabia raises questions over MoU on domestic workers
1 September 2017
- Labour advocates are questioning the wisdom of sending more Cambodian workers to Saudi Arabia after the case of a 28-year-old maid trapped without pay in the Gulf nation for more than a decade came to light earlier this month.

Their critiques come in the wake of the revelation, first published by the Cambodia Daily, that the then-16-year-old girl was sent abroad through a now-defunct recruitment company owned by government official Ahmad Yahya.

Advocates say the experience of Sos Rotors, 28, a Cham Muslim woman from Kampong Thom province, raises questions about the memorandum of understanding (MoU) that Cambodia signed with Saudi Arabia last year to open a pipeline of domestic workers to the oil-rich nation...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/m ... ic-workers

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Government fires official who sent maid to Saudi Arabia
6 September 2017
A prominent Muslim community leader under fire for his role in recruiting an underage maid to work in Saudi Arabia 12 years ago has been terminated from his government position, according to a copy of a royal decree released yesterday – the same day that a rival Muslim community leader posted claims that he had located a second maid who had been trafficked to the gulf country.

The decree, signed by Cambodia’s acting head of state and Senate President Say Chhum on Friday, does not give a reason for firing Ministry of Social Affairs Secretary of State Ahmad Yahya.

Yahya has been in the spotlight since it emerged that Sos Rotors, a 28-year-old Cham Muslim maid who was stranded in Saudi Arabia for 12 years, had been sent there by his recruiting company.

Yahya yesterday said he did not know why he was being fired. “I don’t want to find out [the reason],” Yahya said...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/g ... udi-arabia

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Saudi maid scandal widens
8 September 2017
A former secretary of state accused of illegally sending a migrant worker to Saudi Arabia has been accused of doing so again by his counterpart at the Labour Ministry with whom he has feuded in the past.
ImageMr Yahya KT
Labour Ministry secretary of state Datuk Othsman Hassan said he had found another migrant worker stranded in Saudi Arabia after being sent there by former Social Affairs Ministry secretary of state Ahmad Yahya, who lost his position on Tuesday amid allegations he was linked to a similar case.

The new case follows the high profile return of Math Sanas, 28, who was rescued after pleading for help in a viral Facebook video, in which she said she had been working without pay for 12 years.

Mr Hassan said yesterday that he has identified another migrant worker, Eng Pov from Tbong Khum province, who has been stranded in the Saudi Arabia after being sent there to work by Mr Yahya’s company The Accent Group...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5082094/sau ... al-widens/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Twelve-year ordeal at hands of Saudi slave masters
November 9, 2017
Ro Tos, a 28-year-old Khmer Muslim, grew up in Kampong Thom’s Baray district. At the age of 16, she left the country in hope of working to support her family, but spent 12 years enslaved in Saudi Arabia without pay and cut off from contact with the outside world.

Ms Tos was finally repatriated in August and has now been reunited with her family in Sihanoukville, where they moved in a bid to change their fortunes.

Her rescue came after she posted a video plea on Facebook for help getting home.

She said she had arrived in Saudi Arabia in 2005 to be a maid after her mother did a similar thing years prior, but it turned out to be a wholly different experience.

When later asked why she didn’t find a way to escape or get a phone to call her family, she said her employer did not allow her to leave the house alone or to use the phone.“The employer always locked the door and did not allow me to step out. He gave me a phone to play with, but without a SIM card or internet access. If I were to go out, it was always with him,” she said...
Full article : http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5089687/twe ... e-masters/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic