Many Cambodian ministries hacked

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Many Cambodian ministries hacked

Post by ExPenhMan »

Best of luck out there if your personal email accounts were exposed by poor security at Cambodian government computer networks.

A massive hack of SEA nations' government computer systems, including many Cambodian ministries, has been (sort of) blamed on actors for Vietnam, Reuters reports today.
Volexity said in a report that the group had compromised websites of ministries or government agencies in Laos, Cambodia and the Philippines so they would load malicious code onto the computers of targeted victims.

This code would then direct them to a Google page which asked for their permission to access their Google account. If the user agrees, the hackers then have access to their contacts and emails.

The ministries included Cambodia’s ministries of foreign affairs, the environment, the civil service and social affairs, as well as its national police. In the Philippines it had compromised the websites of the armed forces and the office of the president.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cybe ... SKBN1D70VU
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Many Cambodian ministries hacked

Post by cambo swa »

Big surprise! I suspect that the Cambodian Ministries probably do not even know 10% of the times they have been hacked. Almost every government official I communicate with, even HE's and Big Bongs, use open source, unsecured email (gmail, yahoo mail) for ALL of their government business, even very sensitive information. I find it hard to believe sometimes what they deem acceptable to discuss by text messages. I prefer to talk to them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic