visit in december

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: visit in december

Post by phuketrichard »

living here see ZERO reason to make bread
get great Wheat, Rye, Sourdough, Raisin bread, rolls and everything in between, plenty of very very good bakeries with lots of options

I love Issan food :-) and miles ahead of Khmer food
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

frankan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:04 am I didn't mean to start a major thing but slow cooking of meat, then someone suggests Yorkshire puddings. I'm going out of brains here, starving on Isaan food I detest.
Isaan food is so much better then Khmer country food. And there are more foods in Thailand to be had. But like Frank had mentioned, sometimes a little bit of creative improvisation is needed for the best enjoyment of food.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
frankan
Tourist
Australia

Post by frankan »

There is plenty of good food here, the fault is the preparation and cooking. Marinade in pineapple juice perhaps to tenderise the chewy stuff, then cook slow and long. A Lancashire hotpot is scrag end and spuds, delicious.

Despite this being a superbly educational thread let's get back to my original question. Where should a lonely barang stay in PP for expat company, a quiet beer or two, a possible nocturnal excursion, a clean,cheap hotel nearby. If you give me some street numbers I'll google it. Oh, and name some bars/pubs worth a visit, I mean sleezy dumps, I'm no sophistiCAT. The rogue still dwells within.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Lonestar, larrys, sundance, FCC;;;;; all serve food and usually have expats and english speakers
I stay at the homeland suites on street 172 for $22/night, ask for a room on the 5th floor overlooking the parking lot out back
Nocturnal?? u mean looking for companions??
street 104, 108, 130,136,172 all within 2 blocks of the riverside
GSM on street 51 ( but be careful)
Pontoons late

as to thai food, i wouldn't change a thing and find zero fault and the thing i hate is when u eat in a thai restaurant in a tourist area and they westernize ( spice it down) the dish...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah- lots of places on 172- hometown as good as any.
Lonestar has good rooms- only a few and usually booked long term.
some can be noisy if a thriving bar downstairs
frankan
Tourist
Australia

Post by frankan »

Gentlemen, thankyou for an informative, even educational thread. I'm confident now of finding my way about and look forward to my visit. I've lived in the Thai boondocks for ten months now putting a smallholding/farm together. I need the buzz of a capital city, a pity if it's lost its edge, that air of danger. That is why I don't want to live in nanny state Victoria anymore, too many rules there.
I must now start the bureaucratic nonsense of leaving and re-entering the LOS and keep my visa status, forms and photos, all in hard copy. Step back 50 years when you enter Thailand. Bureaucracy is a job creation scheme for the untalented.
Street 172 appears to be my cup of meat so hope to meet some of you there.
Regards, Frank
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I must now start the bureaucratic nonsense of leaving and re-entering the LOS and keep my visa status, forms and photos, all in hard copy. Step back 50 years when you enter Thailand. Bureaucracy is a job creation scheme for the untalented

?? i dont find it difficult at all to stay here, leave and reenter ( just came back last week after 2weeks in Bali) a few more papers than 20 years ago but nothing to complain about. :beer3:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:13 pm
I must now start the bureaucratic nonsense of leaving and re-entering the LOS and keep my visa status, forms and photos, all in hard copy. Step back 50 years when you enter Thailand. Bureaucracy is a job creation scheme for the untalented

?? i dont find it difficult at all to stay here, leave and reenter ( just came back last week after 2weeks in Bali) a few more papers than 20 years ago but nothing to complain about. :beer3:
I see so many posters complain about the difficulty of visas for Thailand.
With the proposed visa being more difficult now in Cambodia! What are the differences now Richard. Availability and costs?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

only ones complaining are under 50, unmarried or not legally employed
if ur married,over 50 very easy to get long term visa/extension here
frankan
Tourist
Australia

Post by frankan »

I don't mean to sound a grumpy old complainer (I'm failing I know) but computers and the internet have been around a long time. All this, like my tax return in UK and Oz, could be done online. I show the locals my Australian wallet, debit card, driving license and public transport card, plus 50 bucks cash. Here my wallet is one inch thick after a visit to the ATM. Every 90 days report to Immigration. I can't own the land I've bought, that belongs to the mrs. Thailand, insular and paranoid government,... but I still love the place.
We are drifting off subject, time to wrap this up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic