Cambodian-American Rocket Scientist Publishes Cambodian History Opus

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/11/prweb14876048.htm
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Cambodian-American Rocket Scientist Publishes Cambodian History Opus

Post by vladimir »

Looks interesting, thank you
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Despite its spectacular monuments at Angkor, which attest of a powerful empire that dominated Southeast Asia a millennium ago, whole chapters of Cambodia’s history remain a mystery.
This is what led Kenneth T. So—a Cambodian-American senior rocket scientist who worked for NASA and aerospace companies for 35 years—to try filling the gaps.
For a quarter of a century, he applied himself to his historical research during his every free moment, using the same dedication that had earned him the NASA Langley Research Center’s Chairman Certificate of Appreciation in the late 1980s. Since his retirement, So has worked full time to complete his monumental opus, commenting “Compiling a detailed history is not rocket science…it is much harder!” His books became available on Amazon worldwide Nov. 1.
Entitled “Khmer Kings and the History of Cambodia,” his 2-volume work covers more than 2,000 years of the country’s history, including the Angkorean era that spanned six centuries, and the Cold War era of the 1960s and 1970s during which Cambodia fell under the control of a genocidal government, the Khmer Rouge.
"Khmer Kings and the History of Cambodia-Book I" focuses on the shaping of the nation, covering the periods from the first century on, which became known as Funan and Chenla, up to the 1590s when Siam—as Thailand was then called—sacked the country’s capital of Longvek, an episode that profoundly marked Cambodia in every way. "Khmer Kings and the History of Cambodia-Book II" covers the country’s history and evolution from 1595 up to the present day.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

This looks pretty cool. Next on my reading list
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

These Cambodian history books are especially significant because they were written by a Cambodian who spent his entire life with the culture, and fluent in the Khmer language. Over the past 150 years, most books on the subject have been written by Western scholars, who interpreted the kingdom’s history from their own perspectives.
I agree with that...sorta. Some are absolute garbage. However, if not for Western writers/historians/archaeologists then who? I don't believe anyone ever banned Khmer historians from compiling their own works. Well, there was that Saloth Sar dude and his wacky band of good time guys and gals. The ONLY notable work possible was from Westerners.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

MikeMike58 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 am
These Cambodian history books are especially significant because they were written by a Cambodian who spent his entire life with the culture, and fluent in the Khmer language. Over the past 150 years, most books on the subject have been written by Western scholars, who interpreted the kingdom’s history from their own perspectives.
I agree with that...sorta. Some are absolute garbage. However, if not for Western writers/historians/archaeologists then who? I don't believe anyone ever banned Khmer historians from compiling their own works. Well, there was that Saloth Sar dude and his wacky band of good time guys and gals. The ONLY notable work possible was from Westerners.
Good point. If western writers hadn't researched the topic nobody would have. Cambodia has a long history, but outside of the Royal court not many were literate, and much of what was recorded was just Royal decrees, when such-and-such a temple was consecrated, how many tithes were awarded by a certain functionary etc. These were chiselled out on stone steles, and after the 15th century no new ones were produced. Much of what has been discovered about the kingdom since then comes from outside sources, Chinese/ Thai annals etc.
The local take on history doesn't always stand much scrutiny, legends and folklore are interwoven with provable evidence and the outcome is blurry. Vickery knew this. Any historical scholar will admit that there are huge gaps which are open to interpretation or cannot be explained as of yet. I'm interested in reading this man's work but I don't believe anyone who claims to know so much that is so far gray.

Also this:
These Cambodian history books are especially significant because they were written by a Cambodian who spent his entire life with the culture, and fluent in the Khmer language.
He has lived almost all his life in the USA, where there isn't much of a Khmer culture as far as I know, especially at NASA.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:32 am
MikeMike58 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 am
Good point. If western writers hadn't researched the topic nobody would have. Cambodia has a long history, but outside of the Royal court not many were literate, and much of what was recorded was just Royal decrees, when such-and-such a temple was consecrated, how many tithes were awarded by a certain functionary etc. These were chiselled out on stone steles, and after the 15th century no new ones were produced. Much of what has been discovered about the kingdom since then comes from outside sources, Chinese/ Thai annals etc.
The local take on history doesn't always stand much scrutiny, legends and folklore are interwoven with provable evidence and the outcome is blurry. Vickery knew this. Any historical scholar will admit that there are huge gaps which are open to interpretation or cannot be explained as of yet. I'm interested in reading this man's work but I don't believe anyone who claims to know so much that is so far gray.

Also this:
These Cambodian history books are especially significant because they were written by a Cambodian who spent his entire life with the culture, and fluent in the Khmer language.
He has lived almost all his life in the USA, where there isn't much of a Khmer culture as far as I know, especially at NASA.
I want to see what he has put together as well.

I was reading this morning a few recent articles discussing how new information is constantly coming to light as new digs progress.

About the gaps in history...I think Chandler mentioned that in his crazy kaleidoscope "A History of Cambodia". I really didn't care for it much. He was all over the place in time. Annoying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic