Driving without honking

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Driving without honking

Post by ExPenhMan »

hanno wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:38 pm I am currently in the honking capital, Vietnam. People honk even if they are alone on the road.
Ha! Amazing, isn't it? And yet, moto riders are almost totally deaf to horn noise. They will still have head-on crashes.

Motorcycle repair tip: If you ever need new brake discs and pads, steal a Viet scooter. They never use them. But the horn is toast.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:51 pm I always feel bad when honking near H signs on highways but do it anyhow.
Some while back I was toying with the idea of installing a police siren for improved effectiveness.
I wonder how it would improve the effectiveness? Ambulance / fire truck siren at least has zero effect it seems.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

I do quite a bit of riding around town on my moto and I find that other motos and pedestrians respond quite quickly to the horn. If a moto gets too close or starts cutting across my path and I honk they move. A couple of months ago my horn packed in and driving without the horn was really scary. Needless to say the following day I got it sorted out. A couple of days ago a kid jumped out in front of me, I honked loudly and he suddenly woke up and jumped back. Without the horn I would have most likely damaged my bike on his body.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Revbombs and a loud pipe are far more effective than the horn here. Unfortunately not possible in an auto. One of the reasons I miss riding.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

When I was working in Vietnam a few years ago we had a office driver who honked all the time driving in Hanoi but also when we were in the countryside even on long straight empty roads he couldn't resist giving a toot every now and again. His other trick was to take the outside lane at a traffic light when he knew he needed to turn right and then cut across all the traffic on green.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

chiltern wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm When I was working in Vietnam a few years ago we had a office driver who honked all the time driving in Hanoi but also when we were in the countryside even on long straight empty roads he couldn't resist giving a toot every now and again. His other trick was to take the outside lane at a traffic light when he knew he needed to turn right and then cut across all the traffic on green.
Standard procedure. And when entering a major road, driving straight out to the second or third lane, cutting off everyone, then turning right from the same lane. See it every day here in Vung Tau.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

hanno wrote:I am currently in the honking capital, Vietnam. People honk even if they are alone on the road.
Sorry, but no one beats the Indians when it comes to needlessly honking. That place could seriously use the ban.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:03 pm
Kayve wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:04 pm I feel honking not that useful in the city, seems that they see you most of the time but just don't care, I use my flashbeam a lot though.

Meanwhile, on "freeway" I do honk a lot when I'm overtaking someone/something.

They have issues enforcing stop at red light, driving on the wrong way of the road or even not wearing helmets. Wonder how they would stop you for honking ? What happens when people honks are the same time ?
"Flashbeam"

Hmm. Ok. :thumb:
How do you call it ? Flashlights ? Beam Lights ? Laser ?
Don't forget the water buffalo
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Kayve wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:33 pm
bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:03 pm
Kayve wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:04 pm I feel honking not that useful in the city, seems that they see you most of the time but just don't care, I use my flashbeam a lot though.

Meanwhile, on "freeway" I do honk a lot when I'm overtaking someone/something.

They have issues enforcing stop at red light, driving on the wrong way of the road or even not wearing helmets. Wonder how they would stop you for honking ? What happens when people honks are the same time ?
"Flashbeam"

Hmm. Ok. :thumb:
How do you call it ? Flashlights ? Beam Lights ? Laser ?
High beam, flashers, big scary lights, uppy lights.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

Mcy riding for 40 yrs, the aural bumper has saved my life more times than I can count.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic