Buying Real Estate in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Buying Real Estate in Cambodia

Post by frank lee bent »

I am not sure if this has been covered, couldn't find anything on search so here goes:

in my understanding th following applies:

hard title is issued nationally through a fairly new titles office, they have only titled a small amount of land- it is Torrens Title and secure.

soft title is issued by the sangkat and is insecure, it is the most common form of title.

barang can own apartments 100% outright above the ground floor.

barang cannot own land or real property outright except for this.

however, there are legal devices around this:

you may issue a mortgage to a Khmer with the funds going to cover the purchase- then lease from the owner for 99 years.

The mortgage should wildly exceed the estimated lifetime value of the property, thus giving you the right to hold the title until the lease expires or the mortgage is discharged (never). this is the cheap option and could possibly cost less than $2.5k

or, you can have a Khmer company with stooge nominees that fulfill the 51% requirement, who grant you power of attorney in matters regarding the company. this company structure is expensive to provision, and the reporting requirements are onerous.

the third way is to found an ngo. they can own land outright. if you take this route prepare to become a social outcast among expats.
Sciarroni Associates kindly answered my questions regarding real estate free of charge, and with a clear rate card of the various solutions.
http://www.sa-asia.com/home/

they are expensive and bomb proof. the principal was i believe an advisor to the PM for some years.

or, you can just put it in your gf's name :beer3:
picooie
Expatriate

Re: Buying Real Estate in Cambodia

Post by picooie »

Sciarroni and Assoc. are an excellent firm. I have used them before and would highly reccomend them. They are not cheap but very effective.

picooie
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Here is an up-to-date, informative and accurate report on What you need to know about buying property in Cambodia...

http://elevatedrealtyco.com/move-to-cam ... -cambodia/
peter.storm
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by peter.storm »

Thanks for that I am interested in buying at some point.
Facebook;- Creating Narcissists from nobodies!!!!!!

Hornithology;- The study of featherless birds!!
swatson
Tourist
United States of America

Post by swatson »

picooie wrote: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:21 am Sciarroni and Assoc. are an excellent firm. I have used them before and would highly reccomend them. They are not cheap but very effective.

picooie

Ya, absolutely right they're not cheap but more effective.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i'd never buy land in Cambodia ,thailand or anywhere not my home country UNLESS i had a wife, gf, children in whose names you could place it and would never buy with the intent to turn it later for profit.

I have brought land an built houses in Thailand and Cambodia, never used a lawyer

One of the reasons I'd never buy it unless having one of the above three, is there is no guarantee your visa situation wont change in the future.
Unless they Guarantee you a visa as long as you hold the land ,( which will NEVER happen) :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:08 pm Here is an up-to-date, informative and accurate report on What you need to know about buying property in Cambodia...

http://elevatedrealtyco.com/move-to-cam ... -cambodia/
Good info

I'm not keen on the company structure unless the property is valuable enough to justify the rigmarole and costs of setting up a company just for that purpose.
In a legal dispute, I would worry about the court ruling the company structure invalid due to dummy shareholders making up the 51% khmer component....

Buying it in a khmers name where you fully intend to leave it to them anyway is an easy solution, eg buy in Khmer wifes name.

The 50 year lease option seems the only fully legal solution to control the property in your own name, ie no dummy shareholders required.
"In addition, a ‘block sale notice’ can be registered with the Land Office, instructing the office not to sell the property without the lessee’s permission"
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Don't forget that you're subject to a 4% tax on the transaction if it's a hard title.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic