Louis, Louis = Loey, Loey

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Louis, Louis = Loey, Loey

Post by Anchor Moy »

Luigi wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 pm While the word “Luy” dervived from the name of King Louis III of France, who introduced French currency to the Khmer Kingdom.

Possibly an error when was meant to be Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte. ?

IDK & RDC :popcorn:
Good find. Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte III looks more likely. Another lost in translation...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_III
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Otis wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:57 pmhear what?
When introduce myself many people reply with, ''oh Mr. money. I've heard it so many times now. Whether there is a true connection I do not know but from border to border that is a common deduction. Just ask them.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

willyhilly wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:48 pm I would guess it came from the French and brak was the traditional term. Cambodia would have had coins before the French came but no notes of course. They say the scheming Thai army fired those coins with holes in their cannon at the spiky bamboo around Longveik. Then after they left people cut down the bamboo to get the coins. The. Then the Thai Army returned..
That is such a great story.

It appears some of the Khmers were dangerosly selfish to their own selves even back then, if this story can be corroborated.

Tricky Thais. It's better to take than make there, it seems.

Anyhow, great story.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's a good thread on the topic here: [Khmer440 link removed.]
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:49 pm
willyhilly wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:48 pm I would guess it came from the French and brak was the traditional term. Cambodia would have had coins before the French came but no notes of course. They say the scheming Thai army fired those coins with holes in their cannon at the spiky bamboo around Longveik. Then after they left people cut down the bamboo to get the coins. The. Then the Thai Army returned..
That is such a great story.

It appears some of the Khmers were dangerosly selfish to their own selves even back then, if this story can be corroborated.

Tricky Thais. It's better to take than make there, it seems.

Anyhow, great story.
The story is apocryphal, there is no doubt that Cambodia was being fought over and destroyed by its Siam and Viet neighbors at the time, but I believe this story was invented to teach a lesson. Don't burn down your whole fortress for a few shekels, as your enemies can easily amass and take your ill-gotten gains. That's my take.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

How come most haven't learned that yet?

It might be cultural?
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic