Just How Dangerous IS Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Just How Dangerous IS Cambodia?

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:53 pm
Ronny wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:03 am I've heard other stories about pale faces getting mugged in broad daylight at ATM machines even though soldiers and/or policemen were literally standing there watching and did NOTHING! WTF?
Never heard anything like that. Sounds like bull to me.
I agree, doubtful. Unless said person was a REAL pain, the guards would intervene, unless *maybe* outgunned. Then no one could be blamed.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:18 pm
Ronny wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:03 am I've heard other stories about pale faces getting mugged in broad daylight at ATM machines even though soldiers and/or policemen were literally standing there watching and did NOTHING! WTF?
I agree, doubtful. Unless said person was a REAL pain, the guards would intervene, unless *maybe* outgunned. Then no one could be blamed.
Whatever, fellas, but according to this Canadian dude that lives in my apartment complex that's exactly what happened to him about a week ago and they got $700 and his ATM card. Look, I'm a pretty good judgement of character so...1) This guy's a world-class liar, bat shit crazy (Does seem a bit weird and even paranoid), or really is telling the truth.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:18 pm
[/quote
Well, like I said, the does seem to have some sort of mental problem. I dunno, kinda paranoid and going around saying he was a trial lawyer back in Canada but retired early and is now teaching for $1,000 or so a month.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

If he's pulling $700 from the ATM at a time, he's a world-class something out here!

Paranoia, or you look like Mr. Burns or a Japanese banker. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

If you do attract visceral "attention" - too geeky, too gentle, etc. - get smart and go cashless.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bag snatching is common in some places unfortunately. Phone-snatching too.
But, I've never heard of armed daylight robbery on foreigners at ATMs in PP. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but if your friend is telling the truth, maybe he should be alerting other foreigners about this bank and the ATM where he got robbed.
Details please.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Crime in the Kingdom has risen by 5 percent in the first half of 2017, according to a biannual National Police report released yesterday.
There were a total of 1,410 crimes reported in the first six months of this year, up from 1,349 in the previous six months. Police said they had taken action in 85 percent of criminal cases.

There was a 43 percent drop in robberies, and the use of illegal weapons dropped from 12 cases to just three. The report tabulated victims of violent crime as well – 122 people were killed and 533 were injured. http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... start-2017

However in London:
London is now more dangerous than Harlem, according to figures released yesterday. The chances of being mugged in Britain' s capital are 25 per cent higher than in the once notorious area of New York. The Tories have found that in Harlem last year there were just 5.9 robberies per 1,000 residents. Across London the figure was 7.4 attacks. In some inner-city boroughs the level of street crime was even higher. Lambeth, which includes Brixton, saw 24 muggings per 1,000 people - four times the Harlem rate. Westminster - which includes Downing Street and Buckingham Palace - had 12 robberies per 1,000 residents. The borough of Islington, where Tony Blair lived before becoming Prime Minister, saw 9.3 attacks per 1,000. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... arlem.html
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ronny wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:03 am And I've heard other stories about pale faces getting mugged in broad daylight at ATM machines even though soldiers and/or policemen were literally standing there watching and did NOTHING! WTF? So do any of you guys have personal stories about these sorts of things or heard about things like this happening?
I've lived here for quite a few years and I've never heard of that happening. It's never been reported in any news source either.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:58 pm
Ronny wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:03 am And I've heard other stories about pale faces getting mugged in broad daylight at ATM machines even though soldiers and/or policemen were literally standing there watching and did NOTHING! WTF? So do any of you guys have personal stories about these sorts of things or heard about things like this happening?
I've lived here for quite a few years and I've never heard of that happening. It's never been reported in any news source either.
Agree. Very strange that no longterm expats have heard of this.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

considering thieves are routinely beaten to a pulp by a mob if caught, i find this story very unlikely.
snatch and grab from 2 guys on motos are common.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:31 pm considering thieves are routinely beaten to a pulp by a mob if caught, i find this story very unlikely.
snatch and grab from 2 guys on motos are common.
You make an interesting point. I think I've figured this all out. The guy comes up with this BS story about being robbed, tells a bunch people to make them feel sorry for him, then asks them if he can borrow money until the end of the month and then takes off. Because the latest is that he had sucessfully gotten $$$ from some the renters here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic