Administration/Moderation Concerns?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Administration/Moderation Concerns?

Post by vladimir »

I'm almost there!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 amSomeone is either fucking with the site
Can't imagine anyone who would do that, I mean it's not like they have any enemies...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

vladimir wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:50 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 amSomeone is either fucking with the site
it's not like they have any enemies...
Or any posters.

Wait, this thread has posts about TOF. LOCK IT! LOCK IT IMMEDIATELY! YOU MUST LOCK IT!
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

This is great. K440 boots itself.

Hip hip - hurray!
Hip hip - HURRAY!
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it is back up- so take complaints there,
this thread is for admin concerns regarding ceo.
kindly don't clog it up.
don't you know electrons cost money?
preciousssss lovely money.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Wait, this thread has posts about TOF. LOCK IT! LOCK IT IMMEDIATELY! YOU MUST LOCK IT!
Chill out. This is not TOF. 8)
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

You do well with the Facebook business manager account and boosting traffic here through advertising. I told them to do that on 440 but I don't think they know what they are doing to manage traffic. Firstly they would need to have news articles posted and translated.

In return, you can generate more revenues through advertisers on your site. I'm not sure these forums are at that level where you get revenue based on the number of clicks to your site.

Who is managing the FB account? What is your revenue model (i.e. are you getting paid by advertisers)? (Just curious as I have done some work for people that generate revenues through website advertising)
Last edited by GMJS-CEO on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Gonk moves slow. He took almost 2 1/ 2 years just to join agodas affiliate program lol
To make $$ of of clicks u nred generate tens of thousands/ day
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:38 pm Gonk moves slow. He took almost 2 1/ 2 years just to join agodas affiliate program lol
Yeah, i think they have fixed contracts for advertisers on these sites. I had a quote from 440 years ago as my employer was considering placing an ad.

Gonk must be out of pocket with the facebook costs, all though I don't think it costs much.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:31 pm You do well with the Facebook business manager account and boosting traffic here through advertising. I told them to do that on 440 but I don't think they know what they are doing to manage traffic. Firstly they would need to have news articles posted and translated.

In return, you can generate more revenues through advertisers on your site. I'm not sure these forums are at that level where you get revenue based on the number of clicks to your site.

Who is managing the FB account? What is your revenue model (i.e. are you getting paid by advertisers)? (Just curious as I have done some work for people that generate revenues through website advertising)
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:38 pm Gonk moves slow. He took almost 2 1/ 2 years just to join agodas affiliate program lol
Fair questions......

First off, THAnKS!!! We definitely do a lot with social media, and promoting stuff on Facebook is one channel I like. I kind of figure if I find something interesting, there are probably thousands of others out there that find the topics interesting as well. So what better way to get discussion topics out there than to circulate it on social media! And yes, we try hard on CEO to get all sorts of crazy news translated into English for all of us (yes, 'us,' as I don't read Khmer either) to read and share our thoughts on. With Facebook it definitely costs a bit of money to 'promote' topics, but hey, I happen to have a bit of it at the moment, and since CEO is my entertainment, I am glad to get the word out there by any means.

To be honest, as the owner of the site, I feel obligated to our members to help attract as many contributors and readers as we can, as people post online to be read. Simple as that. I know a lot of comments are just short, sweet posts, but there are also a lot of members who go out of their way to post well thought out stories/reports/info, so I really do feel obligated to attract as much readership and as many members as we can. It's a thankless job at times, but my team and I put in a lot of hard work (although fun) to continue running a platform so everyone, anonymous or not, can be heard on the internet and voice their opinions that would otherwise go unheard, even if we don't agree with their take on things. We have very few guidelines about what you can and cannot say, but the rules about what you cannot say are mostly to do with making sure everyone feels free to voice their opinions without fear of being attacked, both online and off. And of course we don't want CEO littered with nonsense, but hey, it's a fine line, as all of us have a different sense of humor, LoL.

Starting out CEO cost very, very little to run, but as time has gone on, I've learned a lot and realize what things we can improve for everyone. Since I'm no techy, these things most often cost money, and always time, so I have been covering all the costs, but it would be great if the costs could be covered by people who are willing to pay to reach our audience. So, it's a fine balance. I'm kind of glad we lost Google Adsense early on, as it allows us to say 'fuck you' to Google and not have to worry about everything being family friendly. Sure, it's still a good idea to be on Google's good side so that everyone can find us through their massive search engine, but it's a whole different ballgame to appease them enough to allow their ads on here, so thankfully our members don't have to worry about that.

Also, there will never be an end to the improvements we will continue to make to CEO. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' site. We got karma back. We have an improved email/notification system. Our site is secure/encrypted with HTTPS/SSL certificate. We've updated our logo. When a member quotes another member, you can now click on their name in that quote and it takes you to toe post they quoted. Images now display formatted in perfectly spaced boxes that you can click on to view larger. You can now login/join CEO through various social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc. We changed our image uploader to IMGur. Those are all things we've done quite recently, and we are still testing out a few more things, like 'mentions,' better spam protection service (which I'm afraid already needs to be updated again, LoL), and even an EASIER video uploader where you'll just be able to post a link straight from YouTube/Facebook/news sites, and it will automatically embed itself without having to fuck with those damn [ youtube ] [ /youtube ] codes and what not. And there's probably a lot of things I'm forgetting That's just a few we are currently working on, but the list goes on and on. All of this comes at a cost and takes time to implement. Oh, and even getting our own CEO app is not out of the question, but we need to think it through a bit more.

The only limit to anything anyone does to a website to improve it is time and money. So, in order to have more money to continue innovating is to get some more paid advertisers, of course. I truly enjoy improving the site, but since I'm not very tech savvy, I'm spent my energy figuring out SEO. It's a lot of fun and interests me a lot, but it also takes up quite a bit of my time (hell, I'm taking a Google Analytics course as we speak so I can even know more how these damn websites work). It may sound stupid, but I had no idea there was so much you could do to a website!!!! Really. It's pretty interesting how search engine giants like Google, Bing, etc, work, and I'm keen to get better at it.

There is also getting advertisers. CEO is a perfect place to have an ad for anyone who wants to reach expats in Cambodia or the region, so I've recently been putting more effort into that as well. As many already know, we gave friends with businesses we support free advertising for the better part of 3 years, and we were glad to do it. However, now that I know that there are endless ways to improve the site, it seems only fair that if someone wants to advertise on here that they should contribute financially to improving our site. That said, having a banner or 2 here and there doesn't interfere with discussions, so I'm all for it, and eventually it will become necessary if we want to be able to do all the improvements on the road map. When we have had tech issues in the past, a couple members were kind enough to privately offer some money to get it sorted, and while we didn't need it, it was a kind offer and makes you realize that a lot of people really want us to succeed and are willing to help out if needed. Again, getting money from members is never something we want, but it was a very kind offer from you all, so thanks.

I'll be in Bangkok next week, and while that's a bit far from Phuket, I'd love to sit down with Richard at some point and get some help from him with more ideas, as he seems to know a lot about making a website financially independent, so hopefully one of these days....

So yes, I'm very passionate about CEO's success, and willing to do what it takes to continue growing/improving the site. So while money has never been the motivation, having the site generate some fair cash will really help us move things up and up. We currently have at least 9 individuals (including myself) who are constantly doing things to keep things up and running, and also improving things, along with all the contributing members who are active on here as well, so CEO has a bright future ahead of it. Most people only see 4 of us (Username Taken, Frank Lee Bent, Lambo and myself) , but for the 5 others I am eternally grateful for their help as well, and of course to all are members to who go out of their way to start new topics of discussion or even just comment.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic