Things that make your teeth grind

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Things that make your teeth grind

Post by StroppyChops »

Jacobincambodia wrote:Everyone driving a Lexus and up.
This. Although there was a reasonable very old Lexus advertised in SR that I considered for a split second. Won't buy one on principle.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:Everyone driving a Lexus and up.
This. Although there was a reasonable very old Lexus advertised in SR that I considered for a split second. Won't buy one on principle.
You know why I say this, right?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I assume because they're a marker for NGOs that squander aid dollars?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Loudmouthed Irish hobbit chancers.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:I assume because they're a marker for NGOs that squander aid dollars?
Well that would drive me crazy too, but since I'm a justice-oriented fella, the folks driving as if they were the King of Cambodia (honking horn, riding ass, breaking every traffic law, etc.) drive me absolutely bonkers. Right now I'm thinking of two individuals in particular that I see almost every morning driving into Phnom Penh. Two younger ladies driving an Audi Q7 or whatever it's called. They drive CRAZY!! Usually, I'm on my bike so I have less of a desire to squawk. But I have given them the "visor up stare down" routine on a couple of occasions.

The hierarchal system that's present here definitely plays out on the road. I just can't let it go sometimes.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I assume because they're a marker for NGOs that squander aid dollars?
Well that would drive me crazy too, but since I'm a justice-oriented fella, the folks driving as if they were the King of Cambodia (honking horn, riding ass, breaking every traffic law, etc.) drive me absolutely bonkers. Right now I'm thinking of two individuals in particular that I see almost every morning driving into Phnom Penh. Two younger ladies driving an Audi Q7 or whatever it's called. They drive CRAZY!! Usually, I'm on my bike so I have less of a desire to squawk. But I have given them the "visor up stare down" routine on a couple of occasions.

The hierarchal system that's present here definitely plays out on the road. I just can't let it go sometimes.
A couple of times we've had the Lexus-driving-tosser honking behind the tuktuk we're in, I've done the unblinking stare-down. Initially they give the eff-off hostile glare or the elitist sniff and look away, and then appear to become very self conscious and fall back, quietly. While it still works for me, I'll use it.
Forktongue2
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Forktongue2 »

vladimir wrote:Loudmouthed Irish hobbit chancers.
Yes , I forgot and those too
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

King pig mentalility is what drives me crazy. Its usually more with the Chinese then Khmer I noticed
Its also the biggest culture difference for me. I get yelled at by my gf and boss cause i lose it. Road rage is as common as bottles water in the states. U cut someone off at any age you are asking for a fight.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

blatant and industrious nose picking.
the waddling strut of the elite.
fake beggars.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

frank lee bent wrote:blatant and industrious nose picking.
the waddling strut of the elite.
fake beggars.
Sometimes it is more like nose 'mining'!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic