Work in march? Jobs for English speaker to look for? :D

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MurphyIrish
Expatriate
Ireland

Work in march? Jobs for English speaker to look for? :D

Post by MurphyIrish »

Hi all :)

So will be arriving in PP in march and planning to stay long term.

I will be looking for work , I am 25 from Ireland fluent in English and looking for a bar job ( any job really as long as it pays the rent) , :)
If anyone is looking for bar staff in march feel free to let me know :D

just posted this wondering what jobs would be good to look for as a foreign English speaker :)

Have a nice day :)

Jason.M
it's nice to be nice!
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Work in march? Jobs for English speaker to look for? :D

Post by angkorjohn »

I replied on your other thread - now I see you are after a bar job. You are coming towards the end of high season so bar jobs for foreigners are thin on the ground. Why would I employ a western dude when I can have an attractive English speaking local for $150 PCM?

Try Kampot they seem to like Westerners behind the bars there otherwise you got Sihanoukville and Koh Rong or Siem Reap. Most of these bars by the coast are for seasonal people passing through and just give you food, accommodation and a few beers and maybe $5- a day for 6 days a week (it aint much cash), some backpacker hostels will have jobs at a similar thing. Some may employ you outright and pay up to $600 plus meals on shift. These jobs are few and far between but say you got one you gotta find somewhere to live right? sure there's some crappy shacks and rooms for around $50-$100 per month but more likely you'll want to spend a bit more and if you don't want to just be eating local food all the time you're money will soon disappear.

I mean if you're just coming for a bit of fun for a few months then it'll be fun but it ain't no way to live long term here. Make sure you got some savings and health insurance.

good luck

John
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bar jobs in snv , during high season pay around $5-8/ day plus food and prehaps a bed in a hot room. :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sanmiguelwithlime
Tourist
Singapore

Post by Sanmiguelwithlime »

Hey there Irish Murphy,

These guys in here are mostly 65+ retired or on pensions.

One guy made a thread couple years back called dont be a slave

cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post108577

Heres the link.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Sanmiguelwithlime wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:43 pm Hey there Irish Murphy,

Heres the link.
I looked at that link Mr Sanmiguelwithlime. post108577.html#p108577

This guy called bkktrapper posted on that thread. I heard recently that bkktrapper died. He drowned in bathtub of ladyboy semen in a Pattaya hotel room. God rest his soul.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Sanmiguelwithlime wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:43 pm Hey there Irish Murphy,

Heres the link.
So what???

Started travelling to europe when i was 18, than north africa.
first came to se asia when i was 24. Back than $1,500 lasted me a year. Btw. Had a bfa and years experince as a chef.
Returned over the years for vactions and with a 18 month bicycle adventure in 82/83, before moving to hk in 84.

Being older means for some; been there, done that :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sanmiguelwithlime
Tourist
Singapore

Post by Sanmiguelwithlime »

I'm pretty sure there's a guy on here who works during brief periods in Australia until he gets the sack while saving every shilling living in his Mum's basement. He is bkktrapper, probly the best one to talk to about actually avoiding work in Cambodia, either him or those who do in fact work: anchor moy, frank Lee bent, hot diggr, hanno or pie man.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

goodbye trapper
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

get at least a minimum 120 hr online tefl cert. buy some dress shirts and ties, and print a lot of puffed up CV's with you pic upper right.
go round to every school and ask to see the director of studies.
do not bother with emails- it won't work ever here.

if you can afford to do the one month residential CELTA in Thailand- it is a definite advantage. costs abt usd 2k.
the pay is low, and any other work- forget it. even tefling is fraught with asshole employers, and the barangs lead the pack in dodginess.
MurphyIrish
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by MurphyIrish »

Thank you for the post guys :)
I will check out the thread Sanmiguelwithlime Thank you :)

Since the bar jobs Don't seem to be too great of a option, i say il do a Tefl and go for the teaching, :) might try get a online one done before i go,

And as in getting a degree and stuff i couldnt stand staying here for another few years and then pay off loans after, tbh i couldn't stick living here for 1/2+ more years in this miserable place .lol
I have some experience in landscaping and pretty good on computers ,Self thought 3D modeler / Computer game designer / graphic designer 6+ year
it's nice to be nice!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic