Scotland vs UK - Scotland better off?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: Scotland vs UK - Scotland better off?

Post by Joker Poker »

Garry.Crabtree wrote: Really, that's a bit like divorcing the wife but telling her you'll be home for tea at night and still expect sex.
Wot, you can't do that???
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

If independent, the SNP have already been told they can have our currency, of course, they could just use it but then they would have a currency with no control over it, financial suicide, in their case.

I am English and proud to be so. I love Scotland and think the Scots are great people but the whole independence thing, while great in theory, has just not been fully thought out. Far to much that is not decided or not agreed.

There is also Yes or NO, the argument for a referendum for English independence, isn't there. Is that democracy?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Forktongue2
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Forktongue2 »

The Scots have been told they will not keep the British pound and have also been told that it is a 5 year waiting list for accession to the European Union.

So if they vote for independence there will be a chance of making some money!

How many mickle? against the pound/euro/dollar
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

This all seems from the Scots perspective. What about the English perspective?

I recently watched a presentation by Al Murry on the English perspective:

I think it raises some very valid points about not grouping the people of a nation together and recognising that a nation is comprised of many smaller communities

:Rose:
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

At least they ave the Commonwealth Games to showcase Scotland. Scotland id a great country and the Scots are a great race.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

I couldn't watch the vid as I'm on a short 3G mobile internet package.

Thousands of English here to work at the games. I find that quite funny. " Scotland can go it alone" we are told, yet we call in the English for help lol. The UK is a great union. I don't want to change it.

It's all sort of contradictory to me. SNP want Scotland ruled by Scots ( tad racist? ) , yet we have many foreign born councillors. My city is hugely multicultural. Many times I am the only native Scot in a supermarket, waiting room or train. So why push for seperatism and multiculturism? Aren't they opposites?
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

If Scotland breaks up with the UK, I assume they'll loosen up some of the draconian immigration laws that have recently come into play. I have no opinion on the rest of it, but for that reason only I'm interested to see what happens.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

giblet wrote:If Scotland breaks up with the UK, I assume they'll loosen up some of the draconian immigration laws that have recently come into play. I have no opinion on the rest of it, but for that reason only I'm interested to see what happens.
Doubt that.
Scotland left to its own devices, is a very parochial and conservative place. Intolerant even of its own differences: the catholic/protestant thing as an example.
All this we are a left-leaning liberal and accepting place is just a means of saying "We're no Unglish".

They'll turn on the Pakis and Roma instead, once they can't hate the English.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Well I will be on the train to Glasgow, this very afternoon, to enjoy a weekend of the Commonwealth Games and soak up the atmosphere of the great city, that is Glasgow.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Tim Linkinwater wrote:
giblet wrote:If Scotland breaks up with the UK, I assume they'll loosen up some of the draconian immigration laws that have recently come into play. I have no opinion on the rest of it, but for that reason only I'm interested to see what happens.
Doubt that.
Scotland left to its own devices, is a very parochial and conservative place. Intolerant even of its own differences: the catholic/protestant thing as an example.
All this we are a left-leaning liberal and accepting place is just a means of saying "We're no Unglish".

They'll turn on the Pakis and Roma instead, once they can't hate the English.
It's ill informed people like you, who probably encourage people to vote for independence. I'd guess you haven't been to, or read up on Scotland in decades?
They do plan to loosen immigration laws and encourage more Pakistani and Indian immigration. Immigration is a must under independence as the population is too old.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic