Chinese Immigrants, Workers, and Tourists

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese Immigrants, Workers, and Tourists

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Genuine question here, guys and gals:

How do you handle these different kinds of folks from our large, generous neighbor?

Do you just scowl and remember the Alamo? Don't do that ...

I kind of know one from the other, I think. Construction workers have hard hats and wear jeans, even in their off-time. Not pale, not fat. Usually seen smoking and shying away from interaction with foreigners. Pretty easy.

Tourists are USUALLY in large groups. Cameras, large funny hats, polyester clothing. And the sneakers! Man!

Sometimes expensive. Easy to spot and handle. Just talk to their guide. Easy.

Immigrants I have yet to figure out. These are the folks who live and own/work here. They take turns going back home on occasion. I think they like the freedom but they can't speak a lick of English, and hardly speak any Khmer, either! But they seem really nice, actually.

Then you get these groups of young, male Chinese, and you can see it's their first time out in a free country. Dang!! Rabble rousers?

These youngsters are not poor. They're not overly generous, either. They're not really dangerous (?), like the Russians were. They just need a good tailor. And architect. And ... :(

I do like late night dim sum, however. Wow. Great stuff.

Hope they're having fun (finally) and get a taste of the good life.
Last edited by SmartAston Martin on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Chinese Immigrants, Workers, and Tourists

Post by bangkokhooker »

Inside your head must be a very chaotic place.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic