Posting cigarettes internationally from Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Posting cigarettes internationally from Cambodia

Post by Digg3r »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:28 pm
Digg3r wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 pm With current import tax at $0.696 per cigarette there's some good money to be made in you can get them in tax free.
If that price is correct, then one pack of 20 cigarettes as an import tax of $13.92.
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Excise- ... r-tobacco/
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:52 pm
AndyKK wrote:
Digg3r wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 pm With current import tax at $0.696 per cigarette there's some good money to be made in you can get them in tax free.
If that price is correct, then one pack of 20 cigarettes as an import tax of $13.92.
Yeah, but in Oz one packet will set you back around $25 aud.
Current exchange rates that's $1.68!

Lolololololo
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The problem would be in Australia, not Cambodia. AFAIK, you are required to fill in a customs form with the content and value on all international postal packages, and if you omit to declare tobacco or cigarettes on a package to Australia, they can get you for something like false customs declaration and/or smuggling contraband. No idea on the penalty but "oops sorry, I'll pay the tax" probably won't cut it.

I don't think Cambodia is bothered about what you send out of the country, with a few obvious exceptions of course. Airmail postage is on the expensive side though.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A guy I know used to make his living sending cigarettes through the post to the UK, but then UK customs somehow stamped down on it.
Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:47 pm The problem would be in Australia, not Cambodia. AFAIK, you are required to fill in a customs form with the content and value on all international postal packages, and if you omit to declare tobacco or cigarettes on a package to Australia, they can get you for something like false customs declaration and/or smuggling contraband. No idea on the penalty but "oops sorry, I'll pay the tax" probably won't cut it.

I don't think Cambodia is bothered about what you send out of the country, with a few obvious exceptions of course. Airmail postage is on the expensive side though.
I'd agree with all that. I'd imagine that Australia has similar laws to the EU. There you are only allowed 2 cartons duty-free traveling from another EU country, and only 1 carton from a country outside the EU.
I flew back home to Europe for a long visit last year (almost a month) and brought 5 cartons, but the suitcase they were in went missing in transit. On the missing luggage form I declared them, so when the bag arrived the next day I got a call from customs & excise saying that because I had declared them I could keep 1 carton but could choose to pay tax on the rest or have them confiscated. The tax would have been around €300 so I let them keep the rest. If I hadn't declared them and had been caught they would have kept all and I could have been fined or prosecuted. It's a pain in the ass over there though, 40 cigarettes cost more than 1000 here. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

What I was getting at! If you or I was to take a few packs or cartons home, no problem. If was stopped with the excess of allowance. First would be the question why? Didn't we declare. And on the other hand sending home a parcel of any size to make it worth doing. So you would have shipping and tax. I don't think it would be worth it. And if you did it on a large scale to make money on resale, I don't think many of the brands would be accepted has EU standard or otherwise. But I may be wrong.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cambodia won't give a rats ass what you send out of the country...you're problems will come from the Aussie end.

Australia has really cracked down on the import of Tabacco items, you're only allowed to bring 50 cigarettes, or 50gm of tobacco in duty free, if you don't declare and are caught with more than you're allowance then customs will destroy the lot.

Unfortunately NZ customs have followed suit.

I can't see you getting away with this on a regular basis, especially as international post is heavily scrutinized these days since the start of the global war on terror.

Back when I was deployed overseas with the military, we used to send cartons home weekly, until NZ customs cracked down on it and we were forbidden from sending any back.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

I think the op has fooked off.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

bangkokhooker wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 pm I think the op has fooked off.
You people have all put him off the idea of using the postal service, and now he is busy trying to stick 100 packets of ARA reds up his ass.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Couldn't make them taste worse..................
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Increasing the price of cigarettes via taxation has done little to curb smoking totally, it is just a revenue gathering exercise that hurts the lowest socioeconomic groups the hardest. In the USA, where a pack of cigarettes costs about US$5.50 (citation reqd), about 16% of the population smoke. In NZ and Australia where a pack of cigarettes costs about US$20, around 13%-15% of the population smoke. Sure less people smoke now than in the 70's, but that's mostly because smokers were demonized not the price. If people stopped smoking in those southern countries, health care costs would rise dramatically. Anyway, fat-fuckers are the new health care burden, and I can't see a packet of Oreos being sold for $20 anytime in the near future. Btw, I'm not anti or pro smoking, but in my opinion smoking when you're over 50 is an unnecessary risk compared to the rewards it brings.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic