Just an idea..

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Just an idea..

Post by 4000islandsguy »

So sometimes posters have been banned when they have had their weird moments. I am all for banning complete cunts but on another forum I go to they have something a little softer they do first. When somebody is being retarded but not really ban worthy they have a place called the cunt farm. On this site I would probably use Asinine Arena for this. Anyway the poster get's his/her staus down graded and posting privileges are reduced to that particular sub-forum.

I believe it is a good idea because sometimes people lose their cool and can be quarantined from the main forums. they can rant and do whatever they want there without diluting the other forums with inane stuff. Sometimes this enables otherwise quality posters to continue and even contribute.

I am not sure how hard it would be to implement but it seems if you can limit access to the VIP nightlife section you could also limit access to other sections, on a case by case basis.

Another argument to be made is that with out the need to ban people site numbers don't diminish. Not sure how important that is for a growing site but certainly total membership does count for something?

On the other forum I am talking about they also strip the ability to private message or add karma if you get exiled. I think that isn't needed unless a poster abuses such privileges.

Your more vehement posters will go away after exile as it limits the mischief they can make. It will also make them stew that you don't need to ban them because you own their ass. Some of the border line posters can atone for their BS and come back to live normal CEO lives. LOL

You want to get unpinked? Write a wrap or if they can add something of quality they have a second life. Pink is the color the person's forum name changes to when they are exiled.

It is a good option for people that add funny shit but can get out of line and at times clog up the grown up sections. not sure if I explained what I mean well enough.

Just a thought.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Just an idea..

Post by Joon »

That actually sounds like something that could provide the best of two worlds: moderation control and freedom of speech. I guess the Asinine thread and the Corner would be the place.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I thought editing by mods and karma was doing this pretty effectively.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote:I thought editing by mods and karma was doing this pretty effectively.
I agree - I can see that more established boards need formal mechanisms, but so far we seem pretty good as a community at self regulating.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

4000islandsguy wrote:So sometimes posters have been banned when they have had their weird moments.
That's seriously a great idea, and be sure the Dragon and I will discuss it.

For the record, we've only banned 3 people.

One continued to out people and post racist comments after several warnings, one was banned for a week just to cool down while he was going through a very tough time and we collected almost $400 to get him back on his feet, and the last member we banned requested us to ban him publicly, and we obliged.

In general, if we decide someone should be banned, we don't want them posting here at all during that time.

And it's never a power-trip or punishment, it's in order to keep CEO's environment fun and friendly for everyone.

We feel that if someone wants to go online just to flame people or troll, there are billions of other places on the net they are welcome to do so, but not on CEO.

Great idea, and keep them coming! This is a community project and we've been able to use many of the suggestions given to use by fellow CEO members to improve the site.

Also, never hesitate to contact us via PM if you have suggestions, ideas or concerns that you'd rather not post publicly. We have about a dozen members that often send us PM's with requests to move threads, etc, and it's VERY helpful. Without them we wouldn't catch all these things in such a timely fashion. You guys know who you are, many thanks! !

We also have a "report" feature that allows everyone to report any thread/post to the admin, and you can even write a note explaining why you're reporting it. That's also super helpful! So don't hesitate to use it.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

Vlad and Chicken were getting nervous for a moment. :) Admittedly the forum it is in use on is much larger than here. As I said it was just an idea. I don't think it would adversely affect any of the valued forum members and would be easy to do.

Now that I think of it there may already exist a concetration camp styled, cunt farm in Cambodia, called.... 4get it.
Last edited by 4000islandsguy on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

It's sort of what I'd had in mind with the corner, but is going to take some modifications on my part. I also feel banned users should have access to READ their PMs even though they can't send them.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Naughty posters could be relegated to the corner and chat whilst they cool off.
Scarier than malaria.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

4000islandsguy wrote:Vlad and Chicken were getting nervous for a moment.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Seriously.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

I was just joking around don't worry about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic