Should Police investigate social media abuse?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Should Police investigate social media abuse?

Yes. They should investigate all online insults and threats of violence, even from strangers from afar / anonymous trolls.
17%
Just threats of violence from locals.
25%
No. It's all a waste of resources.
58%

Total votes: 12
UKJ
Expatriate

Re: Should Police investigate social media abuse?

Post by UKJ »

Hotdigr wrote:Define "Abuse" a little more specifically please. A rockspider portraying himself as a teenager and conning teenage chicks into sending him sexually explicit messages/pictures and then maybe meeting them and perhaps raping them? Of course they fuking should.
That's a different issue. That's called grooming.

I get annoyed at famous, multi millionaire, so called tough footballers, who you see ( by lip reading) verbally abusing referees. Then someone on twitter calls them names, and they report it to the police. In the UK, we were brought up to ignore name calling. So much so, that as kids, we got taught a saying. " Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me". Anyone going running to a parent or teacher and whining about getting called names would be told to toughen the fuck up and not waste their time with petty name calling. But nowadays, adults phone the police!!!, and people lose their jobs over name calling.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

djones wrote:
"Met police helicopter service accused of encouraging Twitter abuse of critics"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... se-critics

That was funny, and I agree with the police on that issue. People whining about the noise from the police helicopter, so they answered....

@Sarah_Buckley sorry to have disturbed you Sarah, I hope the chap with the knife we found hiding wasn't behind your shed. @MPSWandsworth

— MPS Helicopters (@MPSinthesky) July 7, 2014

@ausetana Not sure if searching for a stabbing victim and firearms suspects is unnecessary, but apologies if you were disturbed.

— MPS Helicopters (@MPSinthesky) June 29, 2014

:-)
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

The issue wasn't the replies themselves but the deliberate addition of a "." infront of the handle to allow everyone on twitter to read the tweets and 'pile on'. Other police forces even took part in the pile on.

Very unprofessional.
Scarier than malaria.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

ali baba wrote:The issue wasn't the replies themselves but the deliberate addition of a "." infront of the handle to allow everyone on twitter to read the tweets and 'pile on'. Other police forces even took part in the pile on.

Very unprofessional.
How could they know that people would pile on?
Maybe the police should let people "unsubscribe" to their services! So if they are getting their door kicked in during a home invasion, the police won't disturb them with their pesky sirens, helicopters and barking dogs. :-)
Anyway, the woman won't need to worry , as the police will be too busy arresting internet trolls to bother flying the helicopter and fighting violent crime.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

UKJ wrote:How could they know that people would pile on?
It's not a new phenomenon. The training should cover it.
Maybe the police should let people "unsubscribe" to their services! So if they are getting their door kicked in during a home invasion, the police won't disturb them with their pesky sirens, helicopters and barking dogs. :-)
Anyway, the woman won't need to worry , as the police will be too busy arresting internet trolls to bother flying the helicopter and fighting violent crime.
The thread is about the misuse of social media. I don't think the police's unprofessional and inconsiderate behaviour on one medium should be excused because they do a good job elsewhere.
Scarier than malaria.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

I can't vote on the poll because none of the options satisfy me.

But I'd like to share this article that I found interesting and insightful.
However, it's very women victim-focused but I hope you can make abstraction of that fact.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health- ... net-72170/

I don't know those women. I just assume that they are outspoken, feminists, and people (mostly males) don't agree with them (I have a sneaky feeling I wouldn't agree with their thesis and some of their arguments myself.)

But what made the greatest impression on me in that article, was how a man (or a woman, but I don't recall any woman making those comments in response to the feminist authors) would find it perfectly righteous and normal to come up with this kind of verbal abuses and morbid fantasies. It's rather terrifying to know that some men are able to nourish (and maybe routinely) this kind of desires that are not sexual at all. They are just manifestations of pure hatred.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Read that article. Left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. There are some really, really sick individuals around on this planet.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jaap N. wrote:Read that article. Left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. There are some really, really sick individuals around on this planet.
There's a young kid around Psar TTP with scarring from acid burns (I assume) to the back of his head and his upper back. Seems happy enough, might be a bit simple, but every time we see him we wonder about the sick animals on this planet and whether removing a few of them wouldn't be better over all. We also have a good friend who works the same market - if you've been, you've seen her - who was acid burned by her ex-husband. Same deal, time for some animals to disappear.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

homo sapiens, a very ironic name.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I just was emailing my grandfather about this topic today. I will quote what I wrote

Im so happy Im not in NY. Be careful what you email. You may die before they start persecuting people on what they write on the internet but I dont think I will be. Kinda scary if you think about it. but the internet is a new phenomenon and now cause technology moved to fast its being used against us. I truly feel that.

I tweeted a funny insensitive joke about the illegals crossing over the border...something on the lines of let the uneducated barefooted cheap labor source come to america...its for humanity!

After I tweeted that it was retweeted and Favorited about 20 something times by what I will assume government bots. It scared the fucking piss out of me.

Here was the account...tell me what you think? https://twitter.com/MaryLopez4life

:popcorn:
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic