American English Teacher William Glenn Murdered in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: American English Teacher William Glenn Murdered in Cambo

Post by Cam Nivag »

Good points, Gonk.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

This article appeared an what looks like a Mississippi news site, but all the articles seem to have glaring spelling/grammatical errors.

It almost seems as if they cut and paste the articles from somewhere else, then go though and mess up the spelling/grammar.

Nobody has come out and said whether Nittaya Glenn is a suspect or not right now. I really want that answered.

William Glenn, a clergyman from Mississippi, was found passed in a Cambodian dump final week.

A local Mississippian was found strangled to genocide and wrapped in a screen in Cambodia final week, officials said.

Various general media news that William Bryan Glenn, 43, was found by a child in a rubbish dump on Wednesday after withdrawal his home Tuesday on a motorcycle. He was allegedly wrapped in a yellow screen hold together with channel tape.

Villagers reported saying a motorcycle cab expostulate down a mud highway during 3 a.m. on Wednesday morning and afterwards stop during a site usually hours before a physique was found.

Cambodian military and American officials are looking for clues as to who competence have killed Glenn.

Reportedly he was identified from a wallet containing credit cards and a duplicate of a page of his pass in a slot of his pants.

The Cambodia Daily reported that Cambodian military pronounced Glenn was wanted as a “criminal” in a United States yet did not mention for what. U.S. Embassy orator John Simmons told a media that a U.S. Embassy was not endangered in a investigation.

His wife, Nittaya Glenn, told Cambodian reporters that Glenn had left to a U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh on Jul 7 to get additional pages in his pass since he wanted to leave Cambodia immediately for China, and that he was endangered since they had taken his pass divided from him.

A Lexis hunt shows that Glenn had lived in Columbus and Lowndes County for several years. He also lived in Aliceville, Alabama, during one time. Glenn had been in Phnom Penh for about dual months, and before that he was in Thailand.

A post by Glenn on Expat-blog.com said, “I’ve taught English during each turn from kindergarten to class 12 and Mathematics and Science in all primary grades. I’m now vital in Phnom Penh and I’m looking for a training position, starting as shortly as possible. we have a grade in Education and I’ve spent a final 10 years training in Thailand. I’m a really compassionate, fun clergyman that loves to watch his students learn and strech their full potential.”

Another post in that Glenn posts as “Bryan Glenn,” says he is a connoisseur of a University of Mississippi and afterwards taught in Mississippi for 6 years.

The Mississippi Department of Education does not have record of a William Glenn, a Bryan Glenn, or a Will Glen.

The Lowndes County School District also does not have anyone in their annals with a final name Glenn.

The Columbus Municipal School District was not means to entrance a annals on Monday.

“I got wearied of a low compensate and a dullness in Mississippi, so we motionless to take a possibility and took a pursuit during a Catholic propagandize in Cancun, Mexico for a year, meditative it would be a good place to learn and spend my giveaway time on a beach. That suspicion was totally incorrect!” he writes.

Nittaya Glenn told Cambodia Daily that her father had told her usually days before his genocide that he suspicion people were perplexing to kill him.

A receptionist during a guest residence where Glenn stayed told Cambodia Daily that Glenn was “always alone and mostly drunk, yet he was no difficulty and usually complained about a Internet.”

The dual both told reporters that people who identified themselves as “the FBI” had asked questions and searched his room.

One declare who allegedly saw a physique before military arrived told a Chiangrai Times that Glenn’s wrists and ankles looked as yet they were tied with shoe laces.

A video on Chiangrai Times’ website translated dual witnesses’ statements with subtitles.

“I got adult during 5:30 a.m. and a kids saw it when they likely of a trash, afterwards they ran away. They wrapped him with fate yet we could still see his feet. They were tied with 10kg rice sacks. We couldn’t see his conduct since it was baggy and had forsaken down,” a lady explained.

A male demonstrated how a physique looked when he says he saw it.

“I consider a physique had been beaten here. After he was beaten, they tied him adult with shoelaces. Bound together usually like this (demonstrating).

“I checked it and afterwards we saw everything. His physique was badly painful on his stomach and back,” he said.

The U.S. State Department had not commented on Glenn’s genocide by Monday evening.

http://www.msnewsfeed.com/columbus/body ... dia-video/
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

3) Give him back a valid passport that's ONLY good for onward travel back to the States.
If I am not mistaken, that is exactly what happens when the embassy revokes your passport. You receive a temporary passport that allows you to travel back to the states only.

This is the big flaw in the opinion piece on the other site.

It happened to an acquaintance of mine in Bangkok for overdue child support years ago. He then stayed there in Thailand for at least another year. He even had a couple of encounters with the police, but was not deported, I believe, until the embassy finally requested it.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Ok, we finally get a more informative update on the case that talks about William Glenn's last days before being murdered. Sounds like he was definitely up to no good.

He was doing meth and was meeting with Cambodians at night under weird circumstances. If your motodope driver recalls it as strange, I'm going to agree that it was probably strange.

The wife still suggests he knew he was in a deadly kill or be killed scenario in Cambodia.

This also suggests it wasn't a random robbery or premeditated extortion attempt.

Sounds like it was a brewing confrontation he saw coming.

I have been wondering why the wife didn't ask him more questions about his situation. When people tell you "people are trying to kill me!" you typically have a lot of follow-up questions.

But now it's been revealed that he has been doing meth out here. When your meth-head buddies tell you people are after them and want to kill them you usually don't have many follow-up questions. Maybe just tell them good luck with that, chuckle and ask if they've told their embassy.

And the meth-heads usually seem like loners, but they always have 1 or 2 crazy meth-head friends they meet up with at the most random of places and times to smoke. Maybe a meet-up gone wrong.

How many feasible scenarios do we have at this point?

1) After the Embassy took his passport he was desperate and the first guy that told him, "meet me at 3AM next to a garbage dump with a couple thousand dollars and I'll get you a new passport or smuggle you across the border" sounded like a good option.

2) He was drug muling cash and/or drugs across the borders and they were finished with him.

3) His wife from Thailand, Nittaya, used her connections here to have him murdered. He was feeding her info about where he was, etc. Maybe she said to meet her friend who was going to help him.

4) His meth-head buddies decided to rob him. It happens. Meth-heads are crazy and defy any sort of logic when they're high.

5) Random robbery (very unlikely).

6) He owed money to some thugs for either drugs or borrowed cash. Maybe they heard about his exit plans. His motodope practically wrote William's entire biography and travel details in the latest Cambodia Daily article, so when you owe people money, it doesn't take much effort for them to keep tabs on you.

7) He's a racist who "has a knack for getting into trouble" and dropped the N-word at the wrong time, which landed him where he is.

I'm expecting to hear about police leads within the next day or 2. If we don't hear more by then, I think the investigation is pretty much over.

Personally, I still think the wife is suspicious. After all, she's the one that suggested he go here and sent him here, a trip which she paid for. She has been in contact with him and knows his every move. She also admits to getting online and searching for news of his death because he didn't answer his phone for a day. She has motive. The fried chicken business is all hers and her sisters with him out of the picture. Or maybe the sister, who was also taking him to court for stealing her tv, which is why he fled Thailand. His Thai wife also seems to have some weird statements to the police, including the statements about honoring the family wishes to have a fast cremation, etc.

All that said, he sounds like a hot-headed meth-head that was fleeing from charges in both the US and in Thailand, and these kinds of people never have trouble finding trouble. Welcome to Cambodia.

On the evening of July 4—just days before William Glenn would be found dead from apparent strangulation—the Mississippi-born teacher told his moto-taxi driver to head north as he awaited further instructions from an unknown man.

The request surprised the driver, who calls himself Vang.

Former colleagues who worked with the victim in Bangkok, where he lived until May, described a man with a quick temper who had a problem with alcohol and a knack for getting himself into trouble.

But in the two months that he lived and worked in Phnom Penh, the American was a creature of habit, a loner who liked to drink but went to work and returned at the same times every day, according to Vang and staff at the two guesthouses he had stayed at.

“I only ever took [William] Glenn to work five days a week, in the morning at Golden Gate [American School] and in the evening at Collingwood [English Institute],” said Vang, who declined to give his full name for fear of becoming a suspect in the murder.

“He was always drinking beer at his guesthouse or outside marts but he was quiet, paid well and sometimes bought me food to eat.”

But at 7:15 p.m. on Friday, July 4, he came out of his guesthouse in Prampi Makara district and asked to be driven toward Central Market. As they were driving, teacher’s phone rang and he passed it to Vang. A Khmer-speaker told him to drive into the Boeng Kak area to the Al-Serkal Mosque.

“I thought it was strange so I didn’t want to bring him to that area because it was dark and I was afraid, so the man told me to drive across Chroy Changvar Bridge instead to a [karaoke] club called Diamond,” he said.

William Glenn asked him to stop at the Tela service station just over the bridge and went to the shop. When he came out, he was talking on the phone.

“He passed me the phone again and said the same voice said: ‘Are you the person sitting on the bike?’ Then a tuk-tuk which was already parked at the gas station drove towards us,” Vang said.

The tuk-tuk’s rain curtains were closed but Vang saw a Cambodian man seated inside push the curtain back slightly and shout to William Glenn: “Pay him, pay him.”

“He gave me $12 and handed me one [of two] cans of beer he’d bought, then he climbed into the tuk-tuk,” Vang said.

He doesn’t know where William Glenn went next. CCTV cameras at the Tela station automatically record over footage after seven days, but 28-year-old pump attendant Chum Tou on Wednesday recognized a photograph of the teacher and said he clearly remembered him arriving on a bike, entering the shop, then getting into a tuk-tuk.

Vang next saw the victim on Monday morning. William Glenn’s day job at Golden Gate school had finished for the holidays but at 9:30 a.m., he found Vang 100 meters down the street from his guesthouse and asked to go to the U.S. Embassy.

According to his wife in Bangkok, who recently separated from her husband but still kept in frequent contact with him, William Glenn texted her that day to say the embassy had kept his passport and he was worried because he planned to leave the country immediately.

Nittaya Glenn, 44, said her husband sounded upset when she called him the previous weekend. She says he told her he was afraid that if he stayed in Cambodia, he would have to kill someone.

“I told him to be calm, that the best option was to leave the country and go to China where he had taught before and I said I would pay for his flight. His passport was full but he said he would go to the Embassy first thing on Monday,” she said.

Ms. Glenn encouraged her husband to go to Cambodia in the first place. He was due to go to court in Bangkok because her sister had reported him to the police for stealing and selling her television. Though he had caused his wife trouble in their five years together, she did not want him to go to jail, so she gave him 20,000 baht, about $623, and told him to go to Phnom Penh.

Ms. Glenn said she does not know why the U.S. Embassy kept her husband’s passport and the embassy declined to comment due to privacy concerns.

But the Mississippi-based Clarion-Ledger newspaper Wednesday reported that William Glenn had “an open bench warrant from 2002 when he missed a court date for manufacturing methamphetamine and third-offense DUI.”

According to Cambodian police, U.S. Embassy officials who are working on the case told them he was wanted for drug offenses in the U.S.

Chhuon Narin, the deputy municipal police chief, also said Wednesday that a toxicology report on the body showed the victim had methamphetamine in his blood.

“Based on the inspection of the doctor and technical teams, we found he had drugs in his blood,” he said.

Ms. Glenn said she agreed to allow her husband’s body to be cremated Wednesday to respect the wishes of his family in the U.S.

At 3 a.m. on Wednesday, July 9, a villager reported seeing a tuk-tuk and motorcycle drive down the dirt road in Prek Pnov district and stop at the garbage pile where less than three hours later, William Glenn’s body was found. Police say they have no suspects.

The last time Vang, the moto-driver, saw the American was on Monday evening. The pair agreed to meet again at 4:30 p.m. at the guesthouse so William Glenn could go to Collingwood, but Vang waited for 20 minutes and the teacher did not show up.............

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/drive ... man-64311/

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I rarely ever say "I told you so..."
StroppyChops wrote:Is it right to think that's all a bit gangland and statement-ish?
PhnomRon wrote:Followed by wild rumors about gangland style statement killings.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

his moto driver
“I saw him later at about 6 p.m. and he was drunk, walking down the street wearing army shorts and a striped sky blue t-shirt, before he turned a corner,” he said. “That was the last time I saw him before I heard on Thursday morning he had been killed.”
he would usually take a moto to commute whereever, but this evening he did not ?
so, he didnt plan to go any far?
imo, the moto driver doesnt say the truth.

there is more about his ex wife.
she betrayed him with their business - had his name removed from the papers. so its solely hers, it seems.
he was apparently hoping to get a part back, as there are "new laws" in thailand now (ajarn forum).

the moto driver saw the tuktuk at another occassion (gas station), and even talked to someone inside the tuktuk/or its driver.
cant believe the moto guy didnt have at least a strong clue, who he is dealing with.
these moto guys are outside and around PP all day and night, basically.
they will know each other, at least from seeing.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Something does NOT look right about this screenshot.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

General Mackevili wrote:Something does NOT look right about this screenshot.
I had a strong feeling that you were involved - digging up all those details...hmmm...what does your tuk-tuk look like anyway? Ha1
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

This was just posted on another site....

kir wrote:OK, here is the scoop from a totally trusted source.

He got in trouble with the cops in Bangkok and as a way of getting out of the scrape he was in, he ratted out an underground, illegal gambling gang in Bangers.

These guys eventually chased him down to PP and whacked him. He was up to various low end criminal shit over here, but his actual whacking had nothing to do with his Cambodia activities and was payback for being a grass in Thailand.

Moral of the story - if you're going to rat on a mob in Thailand, you need to run a bit further than Phnom Penh.

WoW, if this is true, it will surely be in the papers soon enough...

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

moral of the story - dont talk to thai cops

and if your ex wants all the money, give it to her - to avoid trouble with cops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic